Version with sounds inbuilt

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I've only just found out about LMMS and installed it on my MacBook Pro. It seems to lack any standard instruments at all.

Is there a build which has at least some of the basics - for example - piano, flute, strings, organ etc. - or do I have to somehow build my own configuration.

Otherwise, is it possible to import the instruments in once the program is loaded?

I downloaded the stable version for MacOS.
dave2019 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:57 am
I've only just found out about LMMS and installed it on my MacBook Pro.
You should have all the default instruments on MAC, except those depending on VST (zynAddSubFX, LB203)
Did you get the install-file from lmms.io's server
mac10.13:
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/releases/d ... c10.13.dmg
or
mac10.8:
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/releases/d ... ac10.8.dmg

If you installed something different, then un-install, and re-install with tho one that is correct in repecdt to your current MAC-OS
Let us know the outcome :)

Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome dave2019 !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
In macOS the development of LMMS is a little bit behind the other platforms, so it pays to have the latest LMMS 1.2 release candidate (at least until the 1.2 stable release is available). In the 1.1.3 release there were some things not working for me on macOS, including MIDI keyboard support.

In the 1.2.0 latest release candidate, I'm able to use a MIDI keyboard with the samples, plug-ins and presets that come with LMMS.

Select Apple MIDI in the MIDI interface settings in Preferences and then select the keyboard under the MIDI settings for that instrument.

The DX Rhodes 3 preset is available by selecting My Presets (on the left hand side of LMMS)
Then select zynAddSubFX > Rhodes
Select the preset you want to use and drag it to the Song Editor.

Just as musikbear mentioned, you need to install the correct LMMS package, depending on whether your masOS is 10.8-10.12 or 10.13 and higher.

One thing that is not working for me (and might not be supported) is using third party instruments, such as Dexed which I can play on the Mac using MIDI as a standalone instrument, but I'm not sure if it's possible to load in LMMS as a plug-in.
Thanks guys. I've now trashed the version I had before and reloaded the version which seems to be compatible with High Sierra. At least now I can hear sounds from some of the instruments, so now I'll be exploring more.

I don't really know much about software synthesisers, or Midi (though I'm learning), although I do have a couple of "real" keyboards to play, as well as other instruments and microphones which I could use for sampling.

Are there any tutorials re LMMS you'd recommend?

I'm also looking at other DAWS, such as Reaper.

I'll be back!
dave2019 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:08 pm
At least now I can hear sounds from some of the instruments, so now I'll be exploring more.
Great!
Are there any tutorials re LMMS you'd recommend?
In the link collection i gave you we link to our wiki and i also a lot of video tutorials, you find the link in my signature
a cheaper/ better alternative could be bitwig, but i do not know if they have a MAC version..
dave2019 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:08 pm
If you search KVR audio forums you should find some comparisons between Bitwig, Reaper and others.

One other option might be to get an Ableton Live Lite licence included when you purchase some MIDI keyboards. You can also download an evaluation copy of Ableton Live Lite. I'm not a fan of the default colours, but you can get skins.