Unintended clicking sounds

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hello,

I am working on my first song a number of weeks now, i am pretty happy where it is at and would almost say it is finished.

Trouble i am having, is with a beat editor arrangement (I think)

I have a Kick, Ride and closed Hi Hat.

Kick and Ride are in the same location and hi hat off set to them.

Strange thing is, when you play the beat in the BB editor, it sounds perfectly fine, when it is playing with the rest of the elements of the song there are unintended clicking/clipping noises.

If i lower the volume of the Ride and Hi Hat it reduces the unintended noise but does not eliminate it, but if i do that i almost lose all the sound of them this way and the track does not sound the way i want it to.

I have 14 channels all gone to mixer, all levels have been controlled, none of my sounds pass the -4db mark.

My question is, should i have the Ride and Hi Hat in the BB editor? Or should they be in the song editor?

And if i change their location will it eliminate my problem?
There are many reasons for noise. If you're not on the latest beta release I suggest as a first measure that you upgrade to lmms-1.2.0-rc7, which currently is more stable than 1.1.3, or wait a couple of days and try the next and final beta, rc8 which is almost done.

Otherwise we need a sample of your project to test. Make a separate copy of the project for debugging purposes and remove every part that isn't necessary to create the noise you're seeing. Also shorten it until it's really a minimal version and upload it somewhere and post a link here so we can test it.
zonkmachine wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:24 pm
There are many reasons for noise. If you're not on the latest beta release I suggest as a first measure that you upgrade to lmms-1.2.0-rc7, which currently is more stable than 1.1.3, or wait a couple of days and try the next and final beta, rc8 which is almost done.

Otherwise we need a sample of your project to test. Make a separate copy of the project for debugging purposes and remove every part that isn't necessary to create the noise you're seeing. Also shorten it until it's really a minimal version and upload it somewhere and post a link here so we can test it.
Thanks for your reply,

I am on version 1.1.3, i will try 1.2.0rc7

I will also debug as you have explained and will upload a test file later.

Thanks again.
Ok,

I updated to the latest Beta version, the unintended noises remain.

I will attempt to master the track again and work on a debugging file as you said, see if i can eliminate the noises myself as i will need to know for the future.

Only if i am unsuccessful will i post you up a sample to work on for me.

Thanks for the offer and support.
Incorruptable wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:57 pm
If i lower the volume of the Ride and Hi Hat it reduces the unintended noise but does not eliminate it, but if i do that i almost lose all the sound of them this way and the track does not sound the way i want it to.
Right, so basically it sounds like you are seeing clipping at the output. Look at the master fader in the mixer and see if the LEDs max out. You can also see the clipping in the oscilloscope (to the right of the Master Fader and Master Pitch in the Main Window. Click to activate it.
zonkmachine wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:23 pm
Right, so basically it sounds like you are seeing clipping at the output. Look at the master Fader in the mixer and see if the LEDs max out. You can also see the clipping in the oscilloscope (to the right of the Master Fader and Master Pitch in the Main Window. Click to activate it.
Thanks for the ideas to look for.

I have monitored all the inputs and ouputs, nothing appeared to be in the red, even the oscilloscope beside the master fader.

I made a debugging file as you advised and worked on that last night toying with a lot of sounds.

I changed the Kick i had initially used and altered it with the Kicker plugin also, this seemed to clean up the sound quite a lot.

There is one section of the track now that is still problematic for me but this section has two very repetitive sounds running simultaneously and a pretty heavy Reverb effect on one of them, i think this needs very localized work done on it on perhaps clones of this section separately.
Incorruptable wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:28 am
I made a debugging file as you advised and worked on that last night toying with a lot of sounds.
Ok fine, but upload it, if you want any of us to look at it :')
musikbear wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:21 pm

Ok fine, but upload it, if you want any of us to look at it :')
Thanks again for offer, it really is appreciated.

I will attempt to work on it myself and see can i figure it out, that way I will have developed a little more knowledge to deal with issues myself, and a little less reliance on others to fix my work for me.

I suppose I am that way in life in general, I like to try my absolute best to understand and teach myself before placing the burden onto others.
Incorruptable wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:04 pm
work on it myself and see can i figure it out, that way I will have developed a little more knowledge to deal with issues myself, and a little less reliance on others to fix my work for me.
Splendid! just say if you need some pointers
I figured out my problem.

This is going to sound dumb, but i suppose its because i am new to this.

Yesterday I thought I would create a new Kick sound using the kicker plugin on a completely new project, all I worked on was creating the nice clean kick I was after, which I did.

I then went back to my original project and recreated the exact same sound, but it sounded totally different!?

Very early in my project on my first song, i had the main sound i wanted as the driver of the track, i assigned that to the FX mixer and had been playing around with a 'Waveshaper' effect on it to get the exact sound i wanted.

As i built the track i was adding more and more to the FX mixer and forgot all about the effect looking straight at me on the effects window on the right.

I assumed because i was adding to the track, sounds were beginning to conflict with each other and i was struggling with compressors and limiters, sound levels and effects to try and clean up my sound.

Yesterday when i realised that two identical creations were sounding different on two separate projects, i must have had a setting somewhere causing me a problem.

I realised i had an effect on the FX mixer influencing all my sounds, i turned off the 'Waveshaper' effect on the FX mixer and all my noise, clicking etc have disappeared and the track sounds very clean and clear.

I can now focus on making the track sound and flow like what I am after.

On the positive side, it has taught me a bit about compressors, limiters and mastering as what I was trying to fix could be compared to something like trying to shovel snow off a pathway in a snow storm, you’re never going to get to the end but damn you will know how to shovel snow by the time you finish!!