LMMS competition VI

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Last track I made is not allowed for BOL. (the party)

Rap samples used from the original, and its a kind of remix. ( midi recreation)

Although done in LMMS , it does not fit the rules.

So not all samples are allowed. :)
Gps wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:42 pm

Thanks for this heads up.

So the question remains, if i use my own Vinyl record sound of it spinning to a slow stop after being powered off, will that exclude my entry?

Or can i use a one shot sample of the same from the Net?
Incorruptable wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:42 am
Fladmay wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:39 pm
No, it works. You have the right to use both VesTige and Sf2, as long as it is done on LMMS.
At least, I think so.
Thanks, it was answered on another thread by Jacoby Davis, Plugins being used with Vestige are ok to use.

I do have another question though, are samples and one shots permitted that have not come with LMMS?

Reason I ask, I want to include in a song the sound of like when a Vinyl record deck is powered off suddenly, I do have my own Vinyl decks and records but if I can use a sample I can download it would be much easier.

Is that permitted and can be used without disqualifying my entry for BoL VI?
As long as you own the rights to the samples/one shots used, you are free to use whatever samples you will. However, it is strongly discouraged that you make an entire song purely from samples alone.

In the case of your vinyl record example, using such samples (whether through your own creation or by obtaining another sample which you have the rights to use), that would be 100% acceptable. Just be sure you have proper usage rights ahead of time.
Gps wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:42 pm

In the case of GPS's song, the reason the song does not conform to the rules is because his song is a remake of another work. We will not accept covers/reworks/recreations/remixes of songs which have been previously released by others.

The only exception to this rule is if you are remixing your own personal work which has not been a previous winner in a BoL competition. For example, if I were to eventually release a remix of my song "Mirror, Mirror" as a VIP (variation in production) remix, because I was the original creator and it is not a previous BoL winner, it would be considered acceptable.

However, it would not be acceptable if I were to enter a VIP of either Lux (BoL3) or The Little Things (BoL5) as both are considered to be previous BoL winning tracks.

Hope this clears things up.
Thanks for the reply Jacoby.

The song i have made consists of,

18 Beat & Basslines compositions
11 Samples
Effects on samples
2 Automation
2 Built in plugins used
4 external plugins used via Vestige

I wont use the Vinyl record myself as i would not be able to gain approval from artists for it, i will look for a free one shot of the same.
Incorruptable wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:14 am
Thanks for the reply Jacoby.

The song i have made consists of,

18 Beat & Basslines compositions
11 Samples
Effects on samples
2 Automation
2 Built in plugins used
4 external plugins used via Vestige

I wont use the Vinyl record myself as i would not be able to gain approval from artists for it, i will look for a free one shot of the same.
Regarding the vinyl sound, one thing you could always do is ask someone to record the sound for you, search for royalty free recordings or public domain recordings.

I might be able to help get a sample of vinyl, but I need to check with the other judges if that would be considered OK. I imagine it would be considering it’s just a sound effect and not any compositional material, but I’ll get back to you on that.
Thanks Jacoby.

My understanding also of using material that is of a copyright nature, is that it has to be used in a manner that it is altered to an extent that is not intending for the original composition to be audible or recognisable as the original artist intended.

But even at that still legally shaky.

If you have a Vinyl sample i will see if it works for me, otherwise, my song is now finished and i will be uploading it soon.
Jacoby is right in fixing it.
Heck yes, this is awesome!
Hello,

I was wondering should one receive a notification of acceptance for their entry submitted for BoL VI?

I submitted my song using the online form and provided the link to song.

I didn't receive any notice back it has been accepted, is that normal?

I just don't want to miss the deadline.
Incorruptable wrote: Hello,

I was wondering should one receive a notification of acceptance for their entry submitted for BoL VI?
No, you don't get a notification. Once you've uploaded your entry, someone has to check it to see if it fits all the requirements (like links not working, the music track being an original piece, etc.), then it's added to the list of entries, which you can find right here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... ingle=true