Some questions before I get back into music...

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
So some of you may remember an old account I had on here, with a lot of probably dumb questions (went by the name Noba). Anyway, decided to ditch that account and get a fresh start.

I've been getting back into game development, and I've gotten to the point where I'd like to sell something, but lacking the money to commission music I want to start making my own. Before now I was pretty bad, I know music theory (did a course on it in college), but when it comes to making sounds, EQing, etc, I know barely anything.

I really want to improve and actually make decent music for my games. So I have a few questions. Videos are okay, but I'd prefer text if at all possible since I learn better from that.

-What exactly is EQing for? What does it do to improve sounds and how can I use it?

-What are some general pointers on making sounds that don't sound grate-y and horrible? (A lot of my old custom sounds had that...)

-Any specific effects or techniques I should pay attention to?

I apologise if any of these are big asks, and I would try googling things, but a lot of the time I don't turn up very lucky with search results. I thought it would be better to ask people directly.

EDIT: I do actually know the layout and everything, how to use automation, etc, so I don't need any pointers there.
Jole_C wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:20 pm
-What exactly is EQing for? What does it do to improve sounds and how can I use it?
That is ½ * definitively best answered with a video :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mFHDyWGh9c

So that was 'improve one'
But EQ'ing can more.
all waves can 'clash' with each other, sometimes this 'collision' will almost 'negate' one or even both waves. O=ther tims the exact opposite will occur one or both waves will be gravely enhanced. EQ'ing can oppose both situations! Even minute changes can avoid nasty distortions, and simply separate various waves so they come out cleaner and not distorted.

-What are some general pointers on making sounds that don't sound grate-y and horrible? (A lot of my old custom sounds had that...)
-Any specific effects or techniques I should pay attention to?
That is a bit harder to say in general.
If you think about building instruments, then firstly its not really needed, LMMS comes with ~1000 presets! -But ofcause its fun to build presets, but a general 'recipe' i cant give you.
I have som videos in a playlist, where i build a couple of presets, and talk a little about filters and efects, but its not general in nature:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... R7Ncz5Zwo6
Jole_C wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:20 pm
So some of you may remember an old account I had on here, with a lot of probably dumb questions (went by the name Noba). Anyway, decided to ditch that account and get a fresh start.
Noba?
Dude what the heck. Welcome back dude! Long time no see. :D
musikbear wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:41 pm
That is ½ * definitively best answered with a video :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mFHDyWGh9c
Thanks! I'll check that out when I can.

musikbear wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:41 pm
That is a bit harder to say in general.
If you think about building instruments, then firstly its not really needed, LMMS comes with ~1000 presets! -But ofcause its fun to build presets, but a general 'recipe' i cant give you.
I was considering that, but aren't presets generally frowned upon? I'm not sure how to feel about them. :/
brandystarbrite wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:03 am
Noba?
Thanks!

Yeah I took a bit of a break since I stopped really getting anywhere with my music (in terms of skill), but now that I'm making a game I actually have a reason to change that.
Jole_C wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:55 am
aren't presets generally frowned upon? I'm not sure how to feel about them.
Presets? No, why would they? The presets can be edited as you like, too -But look at f.i. all the presets in zasfx, or in all the many banks you can find for Synth1
You will definitively be able to find presets that will be suited to your game-music
Imo game-music is first and formost about creating a mood suited for the actions on screen, and perhaps most important, music that wont be unbearable in 5. attempt to make it pass the octopus-boss :p
Link to your game so we can see it
musikbear wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:07 pm
Link to your game so we can see it
Here you go!
Right now I'm using music made by someone, who gave me permission. I'd like to make my own though.
https://www.reddit.com/r/playmygame/com ... urce=share

As for the presets...
I was just under the impression that it's better to make your own sounds, but if it isn't that bad then I guess I'll look into them. I just hope there's some good ones.
Whoops I forgot to mention:

I'm making tracks for each gamemode, there's gonna be about 8 or 9 in total (bosses are included as a gamemode but they share the same song), so I've got a good chunk of tracks to make.
Jole_C wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:02 pm
brandystarbrite wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:03 am
Noba?
Thanks!

Yeah I took a bit of a break since I stopped really getting anywhere with my music (in terms of skill), but now that I'm making a game I actually have a reason to change that.
That is good to hear. :)
I just checked out the link you gave us. The summary of your game is looking good. :D
Jole_C wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:00 pm
Here you go!
Oh retro-style - Indy retro styles games are in
I like the smoothness in the movement of your elements, you also seams to have no tearing. Looking good!