Windows XP SP3 audio distorted

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi,

First post nOOb here.

Trying LMMS 1.0.3 on
Windows XP SP3 on old HP laptop AMD 64bit ~2GHz processor, 2GB ram.I will probably move to Ubuntu after evaluating the migration path from XP to Ubuntu and Ubuntu hardware support for this laptop.

LMMS runs and I am able to load different demos. My problem is finding an audio setting that sounds usable.

I am a s/w engineer, but I don't know about Ubuntu audio drivers. I suppose some type of abstracted audio interface must be used in LMMS?

On XP, I get PortAudio and SDL for the LMMS audio settings. I have tried all of the PortAudio combinations and of the ones that provide some audio, the output is distorted. I have never used SDL and I can't find info on the SDL website on what I should d/l, install or use for the SDL settings.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
SDL basically means that LMMS is directly using your selected sound driver. In the text box you would type the exact name of the driver. For example, on my system my driver is named "RTKVHD64.sys." Assuming you are still on XP, to find your driver name for SDL, open a run dialog, run "dxdiag", and go to the sound tab. The name you'll need to enter for SDL is in the "Drivers" box to the right. If you have more than one sound tab, figure out which one is your default device by looking in the "Device" box to the left.
Outstanding!! Put one of your favorite beverages on my tab.

I tried a lot of the demos and they sound good. Only one has a distorted low end. But maybe that's the way it was made
I'm glad I could help! :)