Midi input overload

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hello,

I'm new on this forum, my name is Val, I'm a physicist, and I play the keyboard during my spare time.

I'm new to LMMS and I'm encountering a problem when using a keyboard for the MIDI input. I'm running LMMS version 1.2.0 with Ubuntu 18.04. First, I had a big latency problem between the time when I press the keys and the time they are actually played, but it seems to be fixed now that updated the system with:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install linux-lowlatency
Now playing via my keyboard works well, except that after 10 or 15 seconds, it seems that there is an overload of the MIDI interface, which ends up by the system not detecting when I release the keys. So the notes play continuously, and to stop them, I basically have to swipe over all the keyboard keys. Then I can keep playing normally for another 10 or 15 seconds.

Any idea of what might be the problem?
AngeSurTerre wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:20 pm
Hello, I'm new on this forum, my name is Val, I'm a physicist, and I play the keyboard during my spare time.
Hi, Welcome to the Forum AngeSurTerre !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
First, I had a big latency problem between the time when I press the keys and the time they are actually played, but it seems to be fixed now that updated the system with:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install linux-lowlatency
Interesting! Maby something we should add to Linux-wiki-page!

Now playing via my keyboard works well, except that after 10 or 15 seconds, it seems that there is an overload of the MIDI interface, which ends up by the system not detecting when I release the keys. So the notes play continuously, and to stop them, I basically have to swipe over all the keyboard keys. Then I can keep playing normally for another 10 or 15 seconds.
Afair, this is a new problem. " notes play continuously " Is not -We call that Hanging notes.
One way that can occur, is if settings on VSTs UI are changed a long with pressing keys, but thats not what you experiencing -right? You are not changing settings, only playing notes
My first point of interest would be your Buffer-size and the corresponding Latency-settings in Edit| Settings| General
Here shown in Wiki
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=LM ... l_Settings
The setting shown is fine for most
What is your Buffer settings?
If they are very different try to change that
Let us know the outcome :)
AngeSurTerre wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:20 pm
Any idea of what might be the problem?
It could be this issue: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/4437
musikbear wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:02 pm
Afair, this is a new problem. " notes play continuously " Is not -We call that Hanging notes.
Thank you! English is my second language, and I've been thinking for a while how I could call it. Good to know!
musikbear wrote:
One way that can occur, is if settings on VSTs UI are changed a long with pressing keys, but thats not what you experiencing -right? You are not changing settings, only playing notes
No, I'm not changing any settings, I'm just playing notes.
musikbear wrote:
What is your Buffer settings?
If they are very different try to change that
Let us know the outcome :)
I'm using 1.5 ms latency, as bigger values makes it impossible to play correctly songs with fast tempo (like the synthesizer solo in "Jump" from Van Halen). But I tried to increase the latency by curiosity, and it doesn't seem to weaken the problem.

Note that, many people may have the same problem without noticing it if they play with instruments which fade out (do you call it "with finite time sustain"?), such as a piano. But in the case of an organ or a synth like in "Jump", it is killing the song.
zonkmachine wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:22 pm
It could be this issue: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues/4437
what puzzles me, is that only so few has this issue ..
Do we have test binaries we can offer to AngeSurTerre ?