Synth 1 alternatives?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Incorruptable wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:44 pm
The machine i make my music on is offline permanently, i have another machine with all my personal photos etc, also never online.
I was thinking of doing something like that one day.
I think I've made progress installing WINE & LMMS 1.2 just some things to check before I;m sure, however I'm confused by these earlier instructions:
*Un-install current installation
*(re)move the config dot-file
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=LM ... h_Settings
This link appears to be for Windows 10 (which I said I'd got rid of) & also nothing to do with config dot ?
&
Linux-users need the AppImage on the Linux-tab!
This is however only available as x64
https://lmms.io/download/#linux
Linux: In Edit| Settings| Misc -Disable'Sync VST plugins to host playback'!!!

Rem2! backup before you reinstall!
From what I've read AppImage doesn't install anything, it's self contained, which is meant to be it's appeal - nothing to do but open it. Because of this I didn't uninstall 1.1.3 doesn't seem to interfere. I did back up my stuff but 1.2 still has it all in 'my projects'.
In mine 'Sync VST plugins to host playback' is already de-selected.
There are some differences between Linux and Windows.

I am a computer nerd and understand some of it.

Windows has a register, Linux has not.
Because of this, on Linux, when you want to uninstall a program you can just delete the folder.

Although this works to some extent on windows too, it will leave stuff behind in that register.
Some thing you don't want and why programs like Ccleaner exist.

It looks for left overs in the register. ( and some more )

With modern packages managers on Linux you can however uninstall a program, Then it will also delete the short cuts and menu entries.
All Distro I know of, have a package manager.

Now back to LMMS.

Always back up you're songs and samples and such, before you install LMMS on Windows, or use the Appimage file on Linux.

I have seen on Linux, that the first time you start the appimage file, it will empty the project folder. ( or over write it )
This might be fixed with 1.2, but are you willing to take that change ? :)
That's why it says backup.

As far as I know you don't have to remove the config.dot file on Linux, pretty sure there isn't one.

So for Linux, make a back up, download the appimage, set rights to executable, and off you go.

On windows, make a back up. Uninstall old version, remove the config.dot file, install new version. :)
Thanks for the clarification. Having instructions for both, in one paragraph, really confused me esp as I'd already said I was using Linux.

My projects folder seems unaffected but I did put the appimage in the same folder as my back ups. (I originally read App-Image as AppL-Mage :) - pesky capital i's)

As I mentioned I'm trying to check something - about WINE. I've posted it on LL forum, The Linux Community forum & WineHQ forum & not had a single reply. Could I ask you have crack at answering this ?

I have installed the Wine version meant for Ubuntu 19.04 onto my Linux Light disto 3.4 OS using the instructions from here :
https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

It shows as ver. 4.0.1 when I ask in command line & I have successfully opened LMMS 1.2 appImage with it (required download of Monoplayer & couple of gekco files). When I did this (open with other application) I noticed I have 3 WINE browsers & 4 WINE internet explorers (& 1 program loader). [edit: see later]

Am I going to have problems with what I've done?

I've a feeling no one knows the answer or doesn't want to tell me I've been incredibly stupid. I'd also tried installing from a Youtube tutorial which had commandline instructions that failed to work so went to WineHQ.

I did this as the WINE ver. in my distro's synaptic package manager listed as '1:1.8.0-0ubuntu' which didn't match any versions of WINE I could find elsewhere & thus had no idea of how old it was.

I just checked this & noticed this is now showing I have installed:
winehq-stable 4.0.1-xenial
wine-stable 4.0.1-xenial
wine-stable-amd64 4.0.1-xenial
wine-stable-i386:i386 4.0.1-xenial
as well as a bunch of other wine-stable (xenial) file options (but not actually installed) that weren't there last time I looked.

I also had trouble with some command line instructions at WineHQ not working (they'd changed the file name for the registry key was one) so had several stabs the same thing which has lead to installing multiple copies?

So I'm hesitant about using Wine until I know more. Any help would be most welcome.
This problem is exactly why I advice people to use one of the more common distro's. :)

Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, openSUSE, and and some more. Those Distro's have allot more users, and simply because of that the change of getting use full feedback increases.

One other thing to try could be to go with KxStudio. This Distro is made for people who want to make music.
They do know what LMMS is.

https://kx.studio/

I had to help the package builders of openSUSE about LMMS. They did not now it had to be compiled with wine.

The multiple version of wine should not be a problem I think,
You have as far as I can tell, installed both the 64 bit as the 32 bit version of wine.

I would love to help you, but I don't know the LL distro.
If its Ubuntu based though, you might wanna try the Ubuntu forum.

On Linux installing software should be done through the package manager. ( LMMS is an exception to this rule )
Don't use you tube vids, unless the vid is exactly for the Distro you're using.

You could try to uninstall the LMMS version, you installed through the package manager, but I am not optimistic, that will solve you're problem.

Another forum, that maybe can help you: https://linuxmusicians.com

Or contact the package builders form LL, and tell them its not working. ( wine)
You might wonder , do I have to tell them this, and from experience on openSUSE, I can tell you yes you have too.
OK thanks, I'm fairly confident I can remove the excess installs from the package manager & see how that goes.

LMMS 1.2 is working in Wine but I don't know, of course, which one. (Also works in LL)

I'm also pretty sure LL is Ubuntu based so that forum may be useful (there are so many). You mentioned Linuxmusicians before & I'll certainly join that.
On Linux, you should not use LMMS in wine, that will most likely cause more issues then it will solve.
You won't break anything, its just not a good idea.
Use the Linux LMMS version. ( the appimage)

We only need wine with LMMS on Linux, so that Linux knows what to do the the vst ( .dll) files.

.dll files are typical windows files. ( dynamic link library ) :)
Now you've really confused me!
I thought I have to use LMMS in wine that so I could use synth1. Just re-read your 1st reply in this post. I have to run LMMS appimage straight in Lunux & access synth1 through vestige on that LMMS?

Also weird stuff is going on. I had my back up stuff (& the appimage) in a new folder named 'LMMS backup' & openned the appimage several times without issue. This folder has now disappeared & I didn't get rid of it or anything else yet. My saved stuff has been moved to the usual lmms file. (I've backed it up again elsewhere with a dif file name & to memory stick.)
I think I'll ditch all the winehq stuff & install what's supplied in my package manager.
Crap ! things are going wrong here.
I downloaded the appimage again & tried to open it with double click & got this error message;

There is no windows program configured to open this type of file

So removed all 4 winehq xenials wine & reinstalled the LL package manager one. Same result.
Right clicking the appimage & it appears set to open with wine program loader as default. Just seen option of 'make file excutable' which I clicked. Now opens with double click. Right click now has 'execute' as top of the list so it's opening with Linux & not wine right?
You are on Linux, so you want to use the Linux version of LMMS. ( that's the appimage file ) :)

If you want to use synth1, you need to install wine.

You have wine installed so that part is done. :)

Now go to the folder were you put Synth1.
You will see some folders and files.

For now ignore most, but notice two files called. Synth1 VST.dll and initsettings.exe

First you wanna run the inisetting.exe file. You do this with wine.
I don't know LL, but on opensuse its as simple, as right clicking on the ini file, and then choose open with wine.

When its done, you start lmms, from the appimage file and Insert vestige into the song editor.
Then click the green folder icon on Vestige, and browse to the Synth1 VST.dll.

Like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrGafU87PXs

There is also a readme file that comes with synth 1, that explains that the first time you want to use synth1 you need to run the ini file first. You only have to do this ones, not every time you use synth1.