what the hell is formant??

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Recently I've been watching a lot of sound design tutorials and a lot of them talk about changing format . Does lmms have an inbuilt method to change formant? and could someone give me the basics about what exactly is format shifting, because ive seen the knob in ZynAddSubFx, but unfortunately I can't automate it.
maskeo wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:55 am
Recently I've been watching a lot of sound design tutorials and a lot of them talk about changing format . Does lmms have an inbuilt method to change formant? and could someone give me the basics about what exactly is format shifting, because ive seen the knob in ZynAddSubFx, but unfortunately I can't automate it.
Format shifting? Good question.
maskeo wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:55 am
tutorials about changing format .
method to change formant?
Format is irrelevant -it would be a question about what export-format you should select
But NO you are referring to formaNts !
Formant is a filter, that changes the tone, to a 'humanoid' sound. Its comparable to a spoken word
And -yes, that is one of the many filters in zasfx, and no -we cant automate it
Some years ago i made a tutorial about formants and how the sound could be used in f.i. dubstep:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdj_pzWzAtE
Thanks a lot!
Well, you can automate formants, but not in stock plugins. But there are many free VSTs synths (My fave is Surge) that have automatable formants.
When comes to wave shape - it's like adding straight line to wave (quite like pulse wave) while compressing rest of wave.
Gustav_Sirvah wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:49 pm
Well, you can automate formants, but not in stock plugins. But there are many free VSTs synths (My fave is Surge) that have automatable formants.
When comes to wave shape - it's like adding straight line to wave (quite like pulse wave) while compressing rest of wave.
Nice info ty!
Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome Gustav_Sirvah!
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions