Unable to load .dll/VST in VeSTige

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Currently running Debian 10 Stable. I uninstalled the native package available from the repos since it was 1.1.3 and downloaded the 1.2 appimage. It still sees the old file structure that was created and a preset that I made to the Triple Osc, which works perfectly within the update.
Everything seemed to be hunky-dory until I tried opening a VST; it just doesn't want to do it. I can drag the plugin over to the Song Editor and it adds a VeSTige track, but won't load the actual VST. When I left-click to open the setting, I get just the edit window for VeSTige, and it won't load from there either. It'll let me draw in notes on the piano roll, but there is no so obviously as the VST isn't loaded.
I've followed this thread https://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7 ... dll#p60378 and made sure the new VSTs I downloaded were unpacked into the correct folder /home/lumbergh/lmms/plugins/vst.
I've tried running through tutorials that show how to manage VSTs through Carla which I needed to get from a tarball on their site, but that hasn't solved my problem either as I can't see how to integrate it with LMMS.
As always, I'm grateful for any help or suggestions. I had an idea in my head for a track I wanted to get down before I forgot the melody but it went away as I was fighting software, so I'm a bit frustrated.
If you run lmms from the command line it may give us some debug statements to work with.
zonkmachine wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:24 pm
If you run lmms from the command line it may give us some debug statements to work with.
Pardon my ignorance, but how do you do that with an AppImage? This is only the third one I've ever run, and never before from the command line. I've installed a bunch of times from tarballs, .deb, and .rpm packages before on various distros but the only thing I've ever done on the command line for an AppImage is make it executable. I googled a bit and it wasn't helpful either.
If it makes any difference, I also updated earlier today from Debian 10 Stable to Testing. The problem persisted through the upgrade.
Does the LMMS AppImage have the ability to do a debug dump?
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:00 am
zonkmachine wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but how do you do that with an AppImage?
Like any other binary. Just type the path to the binary. For instance, in my Downloads directory I have a dedicated LMMS directory. I can run lmms by typing

Code: Select all

~/Downloads/LMMS/lmms-1.2.0-linux-x86_64.AppImage
Mr. Lumbergh wrote: Does the LMMS AppImage have the ability to do a debug dump?
Not a complete one as the AppImage is stripped from debug symbols but there can be some output from either debug lines in the code or libraries being called.
zonkmachine wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:46 am
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:00 am
zonkmachine wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but how do you do that with an AppImage?
Like any other binary. Just type the path to the binary. For instance, in my Downloads directory I have a dedicated LMMS directory. I can run lmms by typing

~/Downloads/LMMS/lmms-1.2.0-linux-x86_64.AppImage
Mr. Lumbergh wrote: Does the LMMS AppImage have the ability to do a debug dump?
Not a complete one as the AppImage is stripped from debug symbols but there can be some output from either debug lines in the code or libraries being called.
OK, got it:

Carla does not appear to be installed.  That's OK, please ignore any related library errors.
Jack appears to be installed on this system, so we'll use it.
Notice: could not set realtime priority.
Cannot load library /tmp/.mount_lmms-15HQBr9/usr/lib/lmms/libcarlarack.so: (libcarla_native-plugin.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
Cannot load library /tmp/.mount_lmms-15HQBr9/usr/lib/lmms/libcarlabase.so: (libcarla_native-plugin.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
Cannot load library /tmp/.mount_lmms-15HQBr9/usr/lib/lmms/libcarlapatchbay.so: (libcarla_native-plugin.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
There are a couple things going on here that I see, though I'm not experienced enough with LMMS yet to know how much of an issue they are.
"Carla does not appear to be installed." I did in fact download Carla. It doesn't appear to be in the Debian repos, so I got it in the form of an AppImage from their site. I'll do a search for the libraries being called out as well. Does LMMS use Carla as the wrapper for Windows VSTs? I thought this was native to LMMS.
The other things is "could not set realtime priority" even though I am running an RT kernel when I intend to work with music-related software. I don't care for Ubuntu, but I am tweaking Debian with some of the same optimizations that Ubuntu Studio to make it better at working with audio and video.
Thank you again for your time, btw. I'll check into those libraries aren't being found to see if that helps.
This is (sort of) solved as of this morning. I was able to install Carla successfully, which took a bit of doing. The AppImage for it wasn't recognized by LMMS, so I jumped through some hoops to get the downloads from KXStudios added as a repo and was able to find and install via Synaptic. There's a couple of synths I downloaded, one called StingerMax and another called Dexed. Stingermax is now working through VeSTige just fine, but Dexed is still giving me the issue. I'll try downloading and installing a couple other syths later today when I get a chance to see if it's just a bad plugin or if Stinger working is just a fluke.
I appreciate your time and will update.