Autoswell suggestions

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
musikbear wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:33 pm
Sahaathyva wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:47 am
You may want to use a triangle shaped lfo directly linked to your cutoff knob.
What in automation is creating troubles
I'd like the swell to start with the MIDI trigger that also starts the chord, so that each chord change starts from (near) zero and builds over a set interval, whether it be a half note, quarter, tied wholes, whatever...
One of the problems I've come across is that when I use automation to control volume changes, it takes control away from the track's volume knob in Song Mixer and that complicates the gain staging that I do before final mixdown. I figure if I've done my gain staging correctly, the FX Mixer volume sliders should only require minor tweaks to get everything where it needs to me. If I automate this, I can't simply turn the track's volume knob down to lower the level if one is too loud and contributes to clipping, I now need to re-draw the entire automation track at a lower volume in the same shape to get the same effect and feel. If you're building a complete song, it could be that a track is good and properly leveled at first when you first start fleshing it out and there are only a few tracks, but lead to clipping later as you add more to it and it develops.
Which leads to the second issue I have, which is, if I want to apply a swell to several different parts of track, I need to re-draw the automation part for each depending on what's going on in the moment; if the chords become shorter and more syncopated for certain sections, that means a ton of time wasted lowering and equalizing several automation track sections, and you constantly have to go back and check/redraw to make sure that each section's auto track matches all others to keep consistent volume. It would so much more efficient to have the volume start from low at each chord change and build independent of the track's gain setting or time value based on a volume or compression plugin.
This is why I'm looking for some kind of plugin to swell each chord on its own at the changes rather than writing a track.
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:32 am
[I'd like the swell to start with the MIDI trigger
youp -cant do that in lmms -yet
Pr. note envelopes is noted as enhancement, but not scheduled.
You can find VSTs that has pr-note-envelopes, i hacked a way for Synth1, to make a pitch-shifting pr.-note, and using the Lfo of Osc1 should be able to create a swell too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNDSCMp9uY4
musikbear wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:33 pm
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:32 am
[I'd like the swell to start with the MIDI trigger
youp -cant do that in lmms -yet
Well that's a bummer, hopefully it can get incorporated into the next build. I'd love to see that and support for 64-bit VST's; a lot of newer synths and effects I'd like to check out are only released in 64 lately.
musikbear wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:33 pm
Pr. note envelopes is noted as enhancement, but not scheduled.
You can find VSTs that has pr-note-envelopes, i hacked a way for Synth1, to make a pitch-shifting pr.-note, and using the Lfo of Osc1 should be able to create a swell too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNDSCMp9uY4
Thanks for the link, I'll give it a watch later when I get back to that project; I've been tied up in another one today. I actually did find this https://www.audiopluginsforfree.com/autoswell-light/, but not only did it stutter when I turned up the sensitivity enough to detect the soft chords I want to use it on, it didn't let it rise from zero to 100% volume and so didn't really give me what I was looking for anyway.