Recording pitch bend and automation with midi

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi people,

I have problem setting things up to record automation of pitch bend and modulation of my vsti synths when controlling via midi controller.
After loading in vestige, I find pitchbend and modulation knob under wrench option and drag them (holding ctrl) in 2 automation tracks on which I enable recording. The pitch and mod change is heard when using it while recording vsti synth but not while playing back, automation with enabled recording seems not enough to record this. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you :)
invain wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:05 pm
I find pitchbend and modulation knob under wrench option and drag them
Instead of using the dial for your VST-pitch-bend, try using the PITCH dial on the LMMS-ui
The problem can be that the VST has a multiplication-factor for its modulation.
What VST is this?
Hi musicbear,
Thank you for your answer. The vsti is Dune 3 of Synapse Audio. When I dragged pitchbend from lmms interface I can record it, but only after recording midi notes in piano roll. Second attemp I open automation I want to record and click play to record real time. I guess this is just the way it works in lmms. Would be perfect if it can record immidiately while recording in midi editor/piano roll. Still no recording of modulation possible tough...
invain wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:42 pm
The vsti is Dune 3 of Synapse Audio.
The full version? The available free demo has automation disabled.
Yes, full version. I am confused, how you mean automation disabled? Automation is done in LMMS, maybe you menat modulation disabled?
invain wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:32 am
Yes, full version. I am confused, how you mean automation disabled? Automation is done in LMMS, maybe you menat modulation disabled?
No Automation -in the description of the demo, it is marked as disabled, meaning that they have locked the UI 'somehow' -But it does not matter since you have full ver. -Right?
Please confirm that you have bought the VST in their store and that you paid for the FULL version ~ $250 ?!
I bought it last year black friday sale for 130$ :) Full version is 179$, at least was recently. So yes I have a full version. And can make automation manually. Problem is recording modulation in real time, like the automation track is not receiving the midi signal.
invain wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:44 am
I bought it last year black friday sale for 130$ :)
Woooot.....
Thats a lot of green tossed into a free DAW..!
I really hope we can solve this for you, so that investment is vindicated
Can you describe step by step, how you connect dials, and how you expect the automation to function. remember -its only dials on LMMS own array,
(here shown for Synth1)
that can be automated! You must have a connection the them!
Hi musikbear,

Thanx for the answer. Well it is not really that bad as I can always edit automation manualy without recording. The particular problem is only with modulation of the DUNE 3. The midi message is passing to vsti but is not passing to the automation track assigned to modulation when I enable recording and click play to record real time. Not a big deal.
I use standard procedure, add automation track and drag and dropp the modulation knob from the wrench interface of LMMS. After enabling the recording for this automation of modulation I click play on the track inside the modulation screen I enabled recording to record automation of modulation in real time (as the LMMS unfortunately is not recording mudulation and pitch bend directly when recording the notes in piano roll). All is working good but not for modulation. As I move the wheel, nothing happends.
https://ibb.co/jr8qKL7
From here I drag the modulation.
invain wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:37 pm
All is working good but not for modulation. As I move the wheel, nothing happends.
From here I drag the modulation.
I made this vid,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKdfLZgD0C0&t=290s
on a somewhat similar issue -eg live recording of manually moved dials, but if there is no dial in LMMS dial-array, that correspond to your modulation wheel, then that wont work for you either
Its sad, because no doubt, that the modulation is an important part of your VST capacity.
Im afraid LMMS dont support it