OEM Development and Questions for LMMS Guru

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Hi,

I'm a hardware manufacturer looking for a very simple DAW environment to license. I have some specific requirements and was wondering if a LMMS technical guru could address this? Thanks:

1.) Is LMMS DAW written in 64-bit float math? (if not, don't worry about the remaining questions)

2.) Can LMMS accept 32-bit fixed (integer) ASIO or Core data w/o truncation or bit reduction? I'm thinking, for instance, of Dante/AVB mult-track 32-bit-fix audio data streaming in over Ethernet, via Dante VSC ASIO driver.

3.) Can LMMS process 32-bit-fix (integer) data w/o truncation or bit length reduction?

4.) Can LMMS save processed 32-bit PCM data in a 32-bit-fixed file format, such as 32-bit WAV or AIF32?

yes, I'm aware that 24-bit PCM data is overkill for normal dynamic range audio, but I have a unique application that could use additional contiguous bits.
drizzy wrote:Hi,

I'm a hardware manufacturer looking for a very simple DAW environment to license.
LMMS is open source and licensed with GPLv2 so there's some specific requirements you need to fulfill if you want to use LMMS in any kind of project. Refer to the GNU GPL license text for further details. Furthermore, all of the plugins packaged with LMMS may have their own licensing, mostly they're GPL2 or GPL3.

Basically this just means that if you want to use LMMS, 1) you have to provide the source code to anyone who requests it, and 2) if you make ANY modifications to the LMMS source code, you have to make those modifications available to the public.
I have some specific requirements and was wondering if a LMMS technical guru could address this? Thanks:

1.) Is LMMS DAW written in 64-bit float math? (if not, don't worry about the remaining questions)
Parts of it are, mostly not. 32-bit float is used for all interfaces and connections between DSP elements, however some DSP elements may internally use double precision.
2.) Can LMMS accept 32-bit fixed (integer) ASIO or Core data w/o truncation or bit reduction? I'm thinking, for instance, of Dante/AVB mult-track 32-bit-fix audio data streaming in over Ethernet, via Dante VSC ASIO driver.
LMMS doesn't accept any kind of external audio streams at the moment. Audio recording is not yet possible in LMMS, and audio track handling in general is still very primitive.
3.) Can LMMS process 32-bit-fix (integer) data w/o truncation or bit length reduction?
All audio data is internally converted to 32-bit float. Fixed-point math isn't used anywhere in LMMS (apart from maybe some of the emulator-type synths).
4.) Can LMMS save processed 32-bit PCM data in a 32-bit-fixed file format, such as 32-bit WAV or AIF32?
No. LMMS can export 32-bit float, 16-bit integer or compressed ogg vorbis.

It kind of sounds like you are looking for a DAW for processing audio tracks. LMMS probably isn't what you're looking for at the moment. LMMS is more geared towards sequencing with software synthesizers and samplers. Audio tracks are still a work-in-progress in LMMS.
Excellent! Thanks so much for your reply.

Do you know of an open-source DAW that might work in this application?

Actually, we don't need math, just a way to record, playback, and save files -- all in pure 32-bit-fix ASIO PCM, with a simple GUI, and maybe some features like metering and output level control.
drizzy wrote:Excellent! Thanks so much for your reply.

Do you know of an open-source DAW that might work in this application?

Actually, we don't need math, just a way to record, playback, and save files -- all in pure 32-bit-fix ASIO PCM, with a simple GUI, and maybe some features like metering and output level control.
You don't really need a DAW then. Maybe you should look into something like Audacity? Seems like it should do everything you require... with perhaps some small modification.