VST files out of tune?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
I'm new here, so I don't know if I'm missing something, but it seems that 75% of the VST plugins I've downloaded are out of tune. I've got a good pitch sense, so when I strike a C and hear something a little north of D-flat, it's like tuning in to Criminal Minds to see that Hotchner has been replaced by Mr. Bean. Or hitting play on a Brandenburg Concerto and hearing Nickelback.

Is there a way to retune and recompile VST's, or am I stuck with trial and error searching for plugins that are actually tuned to A-440? So far I've only downloaded a few free plugins, but I'd hate to pay for something useless. (Adjusting the tuning by cents isn't fine enough; I'd need to retune these by quarter cents.)
Exactly which VSTs are you talking about ? I haven't found any that are by default out of tune. Most can be retuned if you play with the internal controls though I'm not sure the accuracy of the controls will be enough to satisfy you.

OTOH I'm not too sure what "north of D-flat" means. And I'm pretty sure that, like most normal human beings, I wouldn't hear anything that was 1/4 of a cent out unless I heard it beating against another note. That's miles less than most equal tempered intervals are out of tune compared with their just tempered equivalents.

Steve
Also, check if VSTs patch doesn't contain modulation, detuning or something else which is not in tune. This is normal.
The tuning controls in each of the VSTs are neutral, but they're more than a semitone sharp. So far, only 4Front's plugins are reliably in tune.

I'm ready to trash the whole program by this point. After restarting my machine, resetting my audio preferences for the tenth time, all of the output is delayed by more than a second and terribly distorted.
geobeck wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:22 pm
I'm new here, so I don't know if I'm missing something, but it seems that 75% of the VST plugins I've downloaded are out of tune. I've got a good pitch sense, so when I strike a C and hear something a little north of D-flat,........
Out of tune? Interesting. :geek:

Okay, on the Vst's GUI, look close to the piano keys section, and you'll see a small green square which is called the base note. By default, it's supposed to be on A4. Is it on A4?
If not, that could probably be what is causing, the out of tune problem.

If the green square is not at A4, then move it to A4. Then try playing some notes and tell us what happens.
I forgot to ask,.... :P
Does the same out of tune problem happen, when using Lmms' internal plugins?
eg. Triple Oscillator, Monstro etc.
geobeck wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:02 pm
all of the output is delayed by more than a second and terribly distorted.
Sounds like you have wrong setup
please post your:
* OS (+service-pack-version)
* lmms version
* hardware specification (ram & soundcard is the most important)
* lmms sound device chosen
* perhaps a sound-file on soundcloud or a similar service
Best is to open the Demo-project //projects\cool_songs/Skiessi-Onion.mmpz and export that, then upload the file
* names and best download links of the failing vst's
Try setting your base note to C5 (The white/green square will be above A4 in most scenarios) That's what worked for me.
neelr44 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:27 am
Try setting your base note to C5 (The white/green square will be above A4 in most scenarios) That's what worked for me.
Yes -great that you have solved your own issue :} -His is however 3 y old..
Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome neelr44 !
Here are all important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions