Time signature global for whole song ?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
I'm trying to work out if time signature in LMMS has to be global for a complete song i.e. if you start in 4/4 it stays in 4/4 for ever and all sections have to be in complete bars.

One thing I'm working with has quite frequent time signature changes (4/4, 5/4, even occasionally 7/8) and the only way I've so far been able to get in sections of the lengths I need is to claim everything is in 1/8 time.

It's not impossible to work with, I just wondered if there was any way to get LMMS to recognise that the time signature isn't really fixed ? E.g. you might have verses in 4/4 with a bridge in 3/4.

Steve
i just tested -you can set up an automation also for time-signature
rightclick the time-signature gadget, and choose 'edit-song-global-autoation'
There you set new values as 'normal' automation patterns (descrete is propl what you want to use)
OBS
each of the fields has its own automation! - A brilliant implementation :+1
Thanks, that's clever. I must have a good play with it.

The more I get into LMMS the more impressed I am with it (and with the kind people on this forum that help us newbies ;)).

Steve
slipstick wrote:
The more I get into LMMS the more impressed I am with it (and with the kind people on this forum that help us newbies ;)).

Steve
I get better support on LMMS, then I get on proprietary software on windows. :D
Just a comment: Global automations are hard to use and not intuitive.

A better way to automate this is <Ctrl+drag> the tempo widget onto an automation track, rather than using a global Automation.

Most controls in LMMS can be automated this way.
I use different time signatures for my orchestrations all the time, but I only record it by one section of music at a time, So the time signatures changes with that section of music.

Here is a good example https://soundcloud.com/eino1953/edvard- ... mood-cover
musikbear wrote:i just tested -you can set up an automation also for time-signature
rightclick the time-signature gadget, and choose 'edit-song-global-autoation'
There you set new values as 'normal' automation patterns (descrete is propl what you want to use)
OBS
each of the fields has its own automation! - A brilliant implementation :+1
Will you describe how to do this please?
Welcome to the forum Potato Man! First, For you, all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
And a few rules for posting and using the right sub-forum :)
Potato Man wrote: Will you describe how to do this please?
Sure :)

Automation is in lmms done with automation-tracks:
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Wo ... Automation

The time-sig gadget has two independent parts
nominator, top and divisor, bottom
Default setting is 4/4

Because time-sig nom/div are independent, you need an automation-track for each, if you plan to automate both, ofcause..

Set the time-sig to the values you want to start your track at
Insert two automation-tracks, name them, and ctrl-drag one part of the time-sig into each automation-track.
Obs!!
These are your base-values, and they should be in bar 1! If you omit these base values, the track will have the last 'read' time-signature also in bar-1, when the track loop, and you wont want that!
Now you have the base-values, Find the bar-pos where the time-sig should change
Set the time-sig to the values you want at this pos!
ctrl-drag each part of the new time-sig in each automation-track.

Your track will now change to that time-signature, at that bar-pos.

You repeat these steps as many times you like. for each of your time-signature changes.

Got it?
Is there any way to change it while making the song?