Scaled Back UI for n00bz

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

It would both level off the learning curve and prevent attrition of new users if there were a beginners' setting for the UI. Throwing everything at them from the get go is absolutely daunting.
Totally agree. I would like to have Only the song-editor open, as lmms starts, but this has already been a subject for debate.. :P
Maby.. though
Never going to happen, sorry. It's just a terrible idea.

The harsh truth is, if you want to do any kind of creative work, it requires some effort and studying. There's a learning curve to everything and LMMS is already one of the simplest and easiest to use free softwares for making music (if you don't believe me, try some other ones). Making things "idiot-proof" is not and should not be what we're about.
Frankly, I find the lmms opening screen to be about the simplest most uncluttered DAW GUI there is now. However ...

It's easy enough to make it simpler without changing a thing. All one has to do is open lmms, arrange the screen and panels in any fashion one likes, and save the Project as "Default.mmpz". When you want to start a new project, load "Default.mmpz" after lmms starts and there you are ... :)

One assumes that a user will then change the lmms GUI around to suit their project needs and "Save as new version ..." or "Save as" when they're further along. :)

Cheers.
Yeah, but you know TheTraveler. If you browse to you LMMS installation directory and make a mmpz file called default, and then change the extension to mpt like this default.mpt (called a LMMS template) LMMS will automatically load that file as the default project :)
That's good to know. Now I'll have to delve into templates. :)
diiz wrote:Never going to happen, sorry. It's just a terrible idea.

The harsh truth is, if you want to do any kind of creative work, it requires some effort and studying. There's a learning curve to everything and LMMS is already one of the simplest and easiest to use free softwares for making music (if you don't believe me, try some other ones). Making things "idiot-proof" is not and should not be what we're about.
Imagevia Imgflip Meme Maker
Yeah, diizy is sometimes realistic. When he says never going to happen he means that as of now and probably forever devs of LMMS will have other priorities, like improving LMMS instead of making it simpler. A big downside with making LMMS simpler is that the userbase will then use LMMS for a week before moving on to a better program, and basically that is going to ruin the LMMS community.

BUT, it isn't 100% sure that it will never happen in LMMS, AND perhaps LMMS will be abandoned in 10 year for a better open source program which have this functionality. So it can happen and are bound to happen in some program, and honestly, LMMS is pretty simple already... Perhaps not some of the plugins... In the survey people said that automation editor and effects are hard to learn https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1N9gdp2 ... wanalytics