FX categories

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
I have a small idea for improvement of workflow of the DAW and I'm interested about your opinion:
I believe the FX window is too cluttered. Whenever the user opens the "add FX" window, there are just too many FX in a single list. This is especially for beginners (like myself) very difficult, because they don't know which effects are useful. There are many effects which are obscure and highly specialized. Some effects like "GSM simulator" are very special, others I don't even know what they do, such as "Identity" or "Z-1".

I think, there should be some categories which group certain effects. There could be a category for filters, a category for equalizers, another category for distortion etc. Another category for experimental and specialized effects. This is of course just an example, maybe there are better categories to group effects.

What do you think?
Informative: Ladspa plugin browser could be of use to you. Not as much info as you asked but still quite informative. Click Alt-T then "LADSPA plugin browser". But otherwise, useful suggestion. Could do with cleaner categorization.
NOVAVA wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:12 am
I have a small idea for improvement of workflow of the DAW and I'm interested about your opinion:
I believe the FX window is too cluttered. Whenever the user opens the "add FX" window, there are just too many FX in a single list. This is especially for beginners (like myself) very difficult, because they don't know which effects are useful. There are many effects which are obscure and highly specialized. Some effects like "GSM simulator" are very special, others I don't even know what they do, such as "Identity" or "Z-1".

I think, there should be some categories which group certain effects. There could be a category for filters, a category for equalizers, another category for distortion etc. Another category for experimental and specialized effects. This is of course just an example, maybe there are better categories to group effects.
What do you think?
That would be needed if it wasent already done, and done in all aspects of LMMS displaying lists :)
LMMS has token-search-filtering. What that mean is that all items in a displayed list is automatically filtered as you type letters.
When you select f.i. the FX tab on an instrument, then try to write

Code: Select all

rev
imediately all reverbs will be displayed, and everything that does not have this letter combination will be filtered out!
This works in all dropdowns in sidebar as well as on instruments and Mixer, so also your presets, Samples, projects -All have this token-filter. Its a brilliant feature of LMMS'
(Not mine, so i can say that :D
@musikbear

This is true, it is indeed a very useful function. But it seems, not all effects always contain the necessary key word. There are for example effects like "GLAME Butterworth Highpass" and "GLAME Butterworth Lowpass", which are filters by their function, but they don't contain the word "filter" and so they get skipped when searching for filters. Another effect is for example "Dynamics Processor" which is a compressor by function, which also get skipped when searching for compressors. Another example is "Freeverb" which also will get skipped when searching for reverb.
Categorization will have to be manual. Ability to label VSTfx too, ourselves?
NOVAVA wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:35 pm
@musikbear

This is true, it is indeed a very useful function. But it seems, not all effects always contain the necessary key word. There are for example effects like "GLAME Butterworth Highpass" and "GLAME Butterworth Lowpass", which are filters by their function, but they don't contain the word "filter" and so they get skipped when searching for filters. Another effect is for example "Dynamics Processor" which is a compressor by function, which also get skipped when searching for compressors. Another example is "Freeverb" which also will get skipped when searching for reverb.
not all effects always contain the necessary key word
Arrr thatta way!
You could add it to the name of the FX yourself, for those few ones that are insufficiently named by the builder, but you do have a valid point when the builder omits the correct naming-scheme -Thats also why nobody should use like: "My awesome-preset" when a new good preset is made.
I have made a pre-fix rule, so if i make lets say a rough guitar, i could use something like "gui_HardAttack".
That way i have 3 options
*gui_
*Hard
*Attack
for smart filtering, and "_gui" will list every guitar that exists nomatter what instrument is is made with