Master chain - Am I doing it right?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.

(•_•)

Yes
No votes
No
No votes
Some are right (pls specify, danke)
No votes

Hmm so imma ask since I'm a beginner for 5 years and never improve lol

Am I really doing it right?

I do not really change the master chain vol and let it stay at 100. I heard that it is unconventional to change values of it.

To the end of master chain FX, the last plug in to receive signals are meter plugins (Voxengo SPAN, Youlean, LMMS' parametric eq for the overall visual analyzing of frequencies)
Before these plugins I would add a true peak multiband limiter to cap everything below 0 dB without causing distortions.

Also to add, the oscillioscope of LMMS (found at the top, above the cpu meter) is accurate at determining true peaks! ~ -0.5 db would mean orange and 1+ db would mean red.

Is adding a headroom sensible, even you are not forwarding your songs to mixing and mastering engineers? Like making it stay at always 70-75%

Or that headrooms should be created before proceeding to master the track and gain stage the mix? (If bedroom producer or not really having the budget to hire someone to engineer)
vortexsupernova wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:43 pm
I do not really change the master chain vol and let it stay at 100.
True.
To the end of master chain FX, the last plug in to receive signals are meter plugins (Voxengo SPAN, Youlean, LMMS' parametric eq for the overall visual analyzing of frequencies)
Before these plugins I would add a true peak multiband limiter to cap everything below 0 dB without causing distortions.
Ok, but i think you have to many monitoring plugins.
Also, instead of a limiter, i like to find the reason for distortions and remove them if they interfere with the mix.
Also to add, the oscillioscope of LMMS (found at the top, above the cpu meter) is accurate at determining true peaks! ~ -0.5 db would mean orange and 1+ db would mean red.
Yes and the meters in Mixer
Is adding a headroom sensible, even you are not forwarding your songs to mixing and mastering engineers? Like making it stay at always 70-75%
I would say 'depends'
If you plan to release an EP or Album, then you need headroom for getting a consistent loudness through the whole release.
musikbear wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:41 pm
Also, instead of a limiter, i like to find the reason for distortions and remove them if they interfere with the mix.
Thanks for respondinf, Actually i am only using one of them, depending on what thing does the track need to be monitored. I first resolve the obvious clippings from various instruments, then I use the peak limiter to resolve all digital clippings (digital clippings dont seem to sound clipped unless viewed wit the oscillioscope and meter plugs, the song is amplified 10+ db even without being overly distorted)
musikbear wrote:
I would say 'depends'
If you plan to release an EP or Album, then you need headroom for getting a consistent loudness through the whole release.
Mhm nice, thanks for adding, Im planning to compile my 4 songs; very helpful.
vortexsupernova wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:35 pm
musikbear wrote:
Thanks for respondinf, Actually i am only using one of them, depending on what thing does the track need to be monitored. I first resolve the obvious clippings from various instruments, then I use the peak limiter to resolve all digital clippings (digital clippings dont seem to sound clipped unless viewed wit the oscillioscope and meter plugs, the song is amplified 10+ db even without being overly distorted)
musikbear wrote:
I would say 'depends'
Mhm nice, thanks for adding, Im planning to compile my 4 songs; very helpful.
In my case, a trick I learned by myself:

In the master FX Channel, I would normally lower the Master FX volume to about 60%, then make my track from there. After making the track, I would then raise the Master FX volume up a tiny bit, and try and mix and master my track from there, playing around with the volumes of the channels, that are connected to my sounds and instruments. Then, I would raise the Master FX volume, close to 100% to see how the entire track sounds, and see if the instruments are loud enough, and then see what needs to be equalized, volume balanced or limited etc. I will admit, I don't really use limiters or compressors in my tunes, I mostly depend on equalizers and volume balancing. :D