Can I use LMMS as a MIDI router? (Sorry if this is a repost)

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I know that you can use both MIDI in and MIDI out on LMMS for instrument tracks.
I know that with that I can use my typing keyboard to control an external synth or keyboard.
I know I can control the software instrument with an external MIDI device.
If I combine both of the techniques, can I control another software instrument by routing the MIDI I play on a keyboard like M-audio or akai or something, then route it through the software instrument track, and put the MIDI output onto a synth? (I don't have the right cable for MIDI except a USB cable, that's why I'm asking)
SurrealMusic wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:21 pm
I know that you can use both MIDI in and MIDI out on LMMS for instrument tracks.

..No, LMMS can receive input from a MIDI devise, but cant send output to a devise.
If you can route as you say, please upload that project. I would like to analyse it.
musikbear, I think, on Linux, things are a little different. I believe there's more routing capability on Linux by default. Perhaps OP uses Linux? OP, can you try to route it and give us the results? It would be wonderful if you contributed to our intangible information-base.
Monospace wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:16 am
musikbear, I think, on Linux, things are a little different. I believe there's more routing capability on Linux by default. Perhaps OP uses Linux? OP, can you try to route it and give us the results? It would be wonderful if you contributed to our intangible information-base.
I Noticed that on LMMS in the midi settings, there is midi input, and midi output.
Yes, but can you USE midi-output for anything, without a MIDI cable?
Monospace wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:16 am
As a Linux user (openSUSE)

There is Carla and JACK, both have routing options.

The picture is from Carla.
https://kx.studio/screenshots/carla-patchbay.png

If I recall right though, this routing won't work with LMMS.
There was somebody who tried, but if I recall right, LMMS does not have an input?

There is Carla for Windows, but no jack for windows as far as I know.

Carla for windows can't do all the Linux version can. I never used Carla on windows, so have no idea what the limitation are on the windows side.
It might be related to my next point though.

I have used in LMMS, Carla to load a native Linux Synth. (Amsynth)

In a failed attempt to keep this simple, JACK is basically something you can use instead of pulse audio, but both are on top of alsa, Jack is mend for pro audio on Linux. (low latency)

So Carla (and some Jack tools) might be able to do midi routing.
If the topic starter is on Linux, the Linux musician forum, might be the right place to ask about this.

I don't think we can use LMMS for this though.
Gps there is Jack available for windows, https://jackaudio.org/faq/jack_on_windows.html and LMMS supports it. at least the alphas.
Never to old to learn something new :)

I did know LMMS on Linux supports Jack, I tried it once, but now its also available for windows users, nice. :)
If you are on Linux, you don't even need Jack. If LMMS is using alsa midi and output is activated on a track, it appears as a readable port and can be accessed by other programs. The same way if midi input is active, it's available as an alsa midi input port. So if you enable midi input or output for any track in lmms without specifying a device, you can use them like any hardware ports.
Not sure about the Windows case though.