Playing multiple VST instruments simultaneously

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I was wondering, If at all possible, how do i play 2 vst instruments at the same time? Lets say i have a vst set up with an ambient pad sound and have another vst loaded with a piano sound. i want to play my keyboard to hear both the pad and the piano but when i have the piano vst selected, the pad is idle. so i click on the pad and now im able to play it using my keyboard but the piano is inactive. it seems i can switch between them but not select both. Im a cubase user and normally im able to play multiple vst instruments using my midi keyboard i just simplay press on the "monitor" button to hear my playback of all desired vsts. im not sure how to do this on here. Hope that made sense. thanks.
votgmedia wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:25 pm
I was wondering, If at all possible, how do i play 2 vst instruments at the same time? Lets say i have a vst set up with an ambient pad sound and have another vst loaded with a piano sound. i want to play my keyboard to hear both the pad and the piano but when i have the piano vst selected, the pad is idle. so i click on the pad and now im able to play it using my keyboard but the piano is inactive. it seems i can switch between them but not select both. Im a cubase user and normally im able to play multiple vst instruments using my midi keyboard i just simplay press on the "monitor" button to hear my playback of all desired vsts. im not sure how to do this on here. Hope that made sense. thanks.
No, atm there is no midi-linking between instruments, so a chain of inputs to more than one instrument, that being VSTs or native LMMS-instruments, are atm not a feature.
It is in the HUGE catalogue of suggested new features, but not scheduled.

You can make a 'hack' like way to reach the result you want. But you will need to make the two instrument tracks separately.
Do like this:

Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome votgmedia !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
If you want this only for playing live on the midi keyboard, you can do that. There is a MIDI settings tab in the instrument window. Set up your keyboard for both instruments and you should be good to go.
trancwolve wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:50 pm
If you want this only for playing live on the midi keyboard, you can do that. There is a MIDI settings tab in the instrument window. Set up your keyboard for both instruments and you should be good to go.
Can you tell me the steps to set this up this way, because im looking at the midi tab in the instrument settings and im confused as to how both connect to the same keyboard if both instruments are set to the same channel? thanks for the help.
You did found the MIDI settings, so what exactly are you confused about? There really isn't any trick, you can just set both instruments to the same input device and channel, it will work perfectly. In the MIDI tab enable the input and select your keyboard and the channel it works on. You can use the same input for as many tracks as you want.
It sounds like you're dealing with a common challenge when it comes to playing multiple VST instruments simultaneously in LMMS. To achieve the kind of setup you're describing, you might need to explore how LMMS handles instrument routing and MIDI input.
While I don't have specific LMMS instructions, I do have a piece of advice related to the world of music. If you're into acoustic guitar playing, you might find the blog post "Which Guitar Pick To Use On Acoustic?" on ironageaccessories.com interesting. It discusses how to choose the right pick for acoustic guitars based on factors like tone and style. These little insights can make a big difference in your playing experience.