mAlex- Horizon (Monospace Remix)

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
I'm proud to present my remix of Horizon, by mAlex.
Listen to the track here.
( https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HV-j1C ... sp=sharing
)

This is probably the longest track I've made so far. Finished over the span of only two days, with only 6 versions, I don't know how I did this. (6 versions? 140 bars, 3 days? Where they're actually noticeable different? Miracles!) I don't know how I managed to reuse synths. (3 minutes! 16 instruments!) I don't know how I managed to use so few instruments. (I can actually count the number of instruments here on my one hand in binary and still have a finger unused- unusual for a track longer than half a minute.) I don't know how I tried to perfect the track along the way, somehow managing to get it so whole by the end that I am automatically rendered incapable of adding anything else I want, therefore forcing me to call it complete instead of continuing it forever (Sorry, people, no drums. On the bright side, you actually get a file). And an ending that wasn't a fadeout of a single long note? :D Almost. Heh.
Admitted, it was quite repetitive and simple by default. That might have had something to do with it. However, repetitive and simple is typically something I've struggled with.
So I hope it happens again. That was quite pleasant.

Download the project file here. See the project file for more information.

Long story short, the original track that I used for reference is here and nowhere else. Every other version of Horizon- mAlex on Spotify etc, is a slightly different version by the same artist. According to Alex, the track is under CC BY 4.

I will update my list shortly with this track and another new track I've made. Stay amazing, community.
I dont know what is the original was but this remix makes me wanna drink some coke and cry

And also this an very great remix :)

Great Job monospace!
Xhomie3 wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 1:50 am
I dont know what is the original was but this remix makes me wanna drink some coke and cry

And also this an very great remix :)

Great Job monospace!
Thanks, mate! I've linked to the original in the top post if you want to listen to it.
Those are definitely some cool synths. That's all I can really say, I wouldn't know how to work them into something sounding like this. Yes, that's a compliment. I'm impressed! I'll check the original eventually, but the musical basis (which I assume to mostly come from the original) is pretty fun as well. Overall I'm getting a stron synthwave vibe from it.
Monospace wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 2:29 pm
This is probably the longest track I've made so far. Finished over the span of only two days, with only 6 versions, I don't know how I did this. (6 versions? 140 bars, 3 days? Where they're actually noticeable different? Miracles!) I don't know how I managed to reuse synths. (3 minutes! 16 instruments!) I don't know how I managed to use so few instruments. (I can actually count the number of instruments here on my one hand in binary and still have a finger unused- unusual for a track longer than half a minute.) I don't know how I tried to perfect the track along the way, somehow managing to get it so whole by the end that I am automatically rendered incapable of adding anything else I want, therefore forcing me to call it complete instead of continuing it forever (Sorry, people, no drums. On the bright side, you actually get a file). And an ending that wasn't a fadeout of a single long note? :D Almost. Heh.
Yeah, actually from personal experience I would recommended maybe ditching that whole version and working on something for a really, really long time thing. I know it really works for some people and some tracks are obviously enormous undertakings (which is quite impressive) especially considering it's electronic music, but I found it's much better not to spend too much time on just one thing. Putting in a lot of effort is great, perfectionism is a big obstacle. If it's going to take a while, it's going to take a while, but stuff like hours of tweaking etc. can easily be cut down. This doesn't only save time, but also energy - the more one listens to their own work, the more every little imperfection will become apparent. To a certain degree this is helpful, but agonizing over the same piece of music time and time again will only kill any passion one might have had for the track.

I talked about something like this with Mastatiq, it might interest you. He takes a really strong apporach in that direction. Still, I'm not going to tell you how to make your music, it's just a thought.
Mampfwurm wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 10:31 am
Mastartiq wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 10:05 am
I try to be productive, because I had a very long break from properly making music because of different many personal reason, and I try to not beat myself up if something is not perfect, or I will never finish it or ruin it and make it worse than it was, so I take time to compose and produce, and will just step by step, introduce new techniques I learn, from advice and feedback, and from anywhere I can get something to help me improve just a little bit at time.
True, it's always better to finish pieces, learn your lessons and move on to the next project, instead of trying forever to make something "perfect". That way one will have (1) the satisfaction of having end results a lot more often (which is encouraging) and (2) get to the point where they will be able to receive feedback a lot quicker. Of course this doesn't mean one should rush their work, but theoretically at least, the sooner something is finished, the sooner one will be able to take lessons by reflecting what worked and what didn't. I think for getting back into music this is a great idea, as you'll get a lot of feedback and likely new ideas in a short amount of time. A "feedback-loop" like this is great for rapid learning and improvement.
Monospace wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 2:29 pm
Admitted, it was quite repetitive and simple by default. That might have had something to do with it. However, repetitive and simple is typically something I've struggled with.
So I hope it happens again. That was quite pleasant.
Don't sell yourself short, I think you did a really good job.
Thank you! Yes, I generally recognize your words on many levels, and most of my tracks, at some point I stop worrying and leave it as it is, because I realise there are limits on how much I can improve so that it's still worth it.
However, this one took an astonishingly short time, and most of my effort went in mixing and mastering and very little in getting the sequence right. Primarily because of the looping.

Ironically, a few hours after posting this everywhere, I suddenly realised a note was out of place in the bass. Everywhere. Each loop. Which was the primary reason the bass sounded so awkward. And I couldn't leave that unfixed. Horror!
Monospace wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 2:46 pm
Thank you! Yes, I generally recognize your words on many levels, and most of my tracks, at some point I stop worrying and leave it as it is, because I realise there are limits on how much I can improve so that it's still worth it.
However, this one took an astonishingly short time, and most of my effort went in mixing and mastering and very little in getting the sequence right. Primarily because of the looping.
Yeah, that's what makes covers such great learning experiences. The part about having a musical idea is already taken care of, all that's left to do if compositional application (instrumentation etc., everything relating to arrangement) and the technical stuff.
Monospace wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 2:46 pm
Ironically, a few hours after posting this everywhere, I suddenly realised a note was out of place in the bass. Everywhere. Each loop. Which was the primary reason the bass sounded so awkward. And I couldn't leave that unfixed. Horror!
I can definitely relate to that experience :lol:.
Nice remix Monospace.
I recognised that classic tune as I heard it. It's very unforgettable. 8-)
Thanks Brandy! Yep (: