Do You use VLC-player? This correct bad LMMS exports in VLC!

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
If you use VLC as your goto player, then you should follow this tutorial
and correct all the settings they recommend.
The playback-sound before these setting-changes and after is like a mehe-night and a night with bubble-bath ..
It is absolute stunning! :O
Please note that Dolby Surround may modify your sound, giving you sounds that may sound good, but won't be accurate in a stereo sense. The "gradfun video filter" also is just a filter, that may filter how all video looks to you and therefore may deliver inaccurate results.
I don't know what the "SincR" upscaling does... everyone mentions to use it.

Do remember to think about this, especially if you are someone who wants to listen to their own music or view their own videos. Filtering out bad things means you won't notice them. I personally prefer watching/listening in the closest to original way possible, regardless of whether I made it or someone else, so I don't apply filters, stereo wideners, EQs, Compressors on my audio and filters, un-distorters, etc on my videos when I use apps like VLC. Anything that "improves the quality" of media on a media player is a no-no for me- I want something that gives me the closest to original.

The main reason it sounds different is because the resampler resamples your sound, and the Dolby Surround forces the sound through its algorithm giving it a sense of surround sound. The former is good, but personally I feel the latter can make you think something sounds better than it actually does.

Remember whenever someone suggests something that makes your audio/video seem better in a media player: do you want to view it closest to the original, or with a bunch of misleading filters on?
Monospace wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 4:07 am
Please note that ...
This is important. I did'nt know that.
The sound i got when i was replaying an exported track in VLC was dismo.
It was clear that VLC attempted to adjust notes with hard attack down in volume, and that the following secd of playback then again increased to some kind of 'medium-value'. The end result was a side-chain'ish fall-and-rise of the sound. It was seriously baaaaaaD!
First i fiddled with setting for EQ, Default filters, compression, but i was not pleased with the result.
It only got worse that choosing 'open with' and browsing to win10 default soundplayer, gave an output that was much more like the one i got from LMMS it self.
I started to search for reasons for VLC-player' low sound-quality, and that video came up.
The subsequent output was amazing!
Very clean and LOUD.
Loudness is often an issue in LMMS -Here using ASIO-4-ALL results in much better loudness, but also in frequent crashes, at least with the ASIO-4-ALL dll's i have tried..
Even BSOD in XP3 was frequent. I have not tried ASIO-4-ALL in win10..
Well, that was why i shared my findings :p -But if the 'great' output is a 'fake of filters'.. Then i am not so sure.
Thanks for the technical insight!
musikbear wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 5:11 pm
This is important. I did'nt know that.
The sound i got when i was replaying an exported track in VLC was dismo.
It was clear that VLC attempted to adjust notes with hard attack down in volume, and that the following secd of playback then again increased to some kind of 'medium-value'. The end result was a side-chain'ish fall-and-rise of the sound. It was seriously baaaaaaD!
That's interesting, I've personally never encountered something like that on default settings, but could it be some kind of "overdrive protection"? But from what else you said I'm guessing the file wasn't all that loud to begin with.
musikbear wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 5:11 pm
The subsequent output was amazing!
Very clean and LOUD.
Loudness is often an issue in LMMS -Here using ASIO-4-ALL results in much better loudness, but also in frequent crashes, at least with the ASIO-4-ALL dll's i have tried..
Yeah, that's true. I can recommend final tweaking in Audacity, which has become a standard part of my workflow for that exact reason. Makes it really easy to amplify everything (unless background noise is a concern of course). But you're probably already aware of that.
Monospace wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 4:07 am
I don't know what the "SincR" upscaling does... everyone mentions to use it.
Okay useless information, but it's just one of many upscaling methods. And upscaling is just, well, increasing the amount of pixels. Usually this would make your one pixel increasingly tiny compared to the entire grid of other pixels. But with UP-scaling it gets bigger, by becoming more pixels. This can be done through simple methods such as "Nearest Neighbour" Upscaling, which just makes four pixels out of one - or more complex methods, depending on the type of graphics. I could talk more about it, but I found this really helpful image that illustrates it way better:

So maybe if you've got a crisp clear, pixellated image or generally low resolution footage (or even a retro game), upscaling can not only get it to fill another (likely bigger, otherwise it would be downscaling) resolution, but also make it look better - kinda. Sorry if you already knew about all of that.
It's my biggest issue with Soundcloud.

Them processing my track.

Why do I not at least have the option to do it myself?
They could tell us what the file size limit is, and let us worry about how we achieve this.

In the case of Link, nearest neighbor, clearly is the winner. :P
Gps wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 5:49 pm
It's my biggest issue with Soundcloud.
Them processing my track.
Why do I not at least have the option to do it myself?
They could tell us what the file size limit is, and let us worry about how we achieve this.
Yeah, they can be pretty annoying, right? Besides sound quality they do this fade-in thing, like a valve amp that's still warming up - I've just resorted to adding 1/2 seconds of silence to the start of everything.

But hey - they do give options - to add more horrible filters. They call this "mastering" and if you know anything about mastering this is just hilarious. It's like a load of bad instagram filters ... but for music. All in all I don't think SoundCloud is terribly professional - it's more of a sharing platform than a music service.
Gps wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 5:49 pm
In the case of Link, nearest neighbor, clearly is the winner. :P
Agreed. The idea is of course to simulate the slight blurriness of CRT monitors, but unless there is some really good CRT emulation, it's just going to look kind of mushy. Which is not very accurate to the real thing. So I tend to use nearest neighbour for older titles. Though I guess I could always just use my real CRT monitor.