ALSA giving off strange static sounds UBUNTU20.04 LMMSv 1.22

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi everybody. ALSA is screwing me over *again* this time it wants to trigger my chronic tenitis. During a sound test at the Sacred Heart College Theatre (i'm a year 9 (13 years old for the homies in the states)) I was playing my song and making a light sequence (strobing at 0.2ms) suddenly ALSA has a fit firing off random pitch static really loud basically f**king earaping me :mrgreen: triggering my tenitis making me feel dissy which therefore made me slam face first into the MIDAS rack mounted computer and the Projector management system therefor giving me a concussion that made me pass out for 2 minutes :lol: Im ok but I Dont want the noise so how can I fix it because it now does this all the time.
ok so it seems if I use portaudio with ALSA as a backend running in High Quality mode with a buffer of 4096 most noise is gone. I just checked this by patching my laptop with the midas through midi and HDMI audio that was coming out of my 1650 Super. I'm running it on surround sound 7.1. there are little clicks occasionally but arent caused by the mmpz :mrgreen:
stesros6309 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:26 pm
ok so it seems if I use portaudio with ALSA as a backend running in High Quality mode with a buffer of 4096 most noise is gone. I just checked this by patching my laptop with the midas through midi and HDMI audio that was coming out of my 1650 Super. I'm running it on surround sound 7.1. there are little clicks occasionally but arent caused by the mmpz :mrgreen:
Good that you have it under control, on a remark; SDL also works perfect in Linux, so if you still have issues, you could try with SDL
I find that SDL has less of a richer sound quality. Thanks for the suggestion.
As a Linux nerd I like to point out that what ever you choose, pulse, sdl, alsa or pipewire, you still will be using ALSA.

This does not mean that switching from one layer to another layer on top of ALSA, can't solve issues, but you will be using ALSA anyway.