Record MIDI controllers

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi all, I have LMMS 1.3.0 alpha 1.102 running in Kubuntu Linux 21.10. I tried as an experiment to load BFD2 drum software VST plugin into VeSTige, and it actually works almost flawlessly....almost! I can either program the drums into the piano roll editor, or play and record MIDI live using a DIY e-drum kit I built. MIDI data comes into my PC from the drum kit via an Alesis Trigger i|o, and an Audiofront MIDI Expression for controlling hihat position. When I play, the hihat controller pedal (Roland FD-8), plugged into the MIDI expression, sends MIDI CC4 to tell BFD2 the position of the hihat pedal, but somehow LMMS is not recording the MIDI CC4 data, so when I play back the recorded MIDI the hihat hits are all played as open, not at the position of the pedal.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me to troubleshoot this issue? I was wondering if there is a setting that allows me to record CC4 and other MIDI controllers.

EDIT: I've read a few other posts after some more in-depth research, and the automation editor is mentioned. Unfortunately it seems that the automation editor cannot record MIDI data from a live MIDI instrument as it is being played - if this is incorrect could someone please advise.

Best regards, Chris, NZ
Chrisblob wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 11:41 am
automation editor cannot record MIDI data from a live MIDI instrument as it is being played
That is correct. Incoming midi signals is in the works
I have tried to look at the issue in a different angle, so would it be a possible solution to build the percussion in your VST-drum-plugin and have lmms controlling when it should play/stop. That is most likely possible