What is best way of recording vocals?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Hi
I'm new to LMMS, is it only for dance? If not, what is best way of recording vocals and other audio (bass and guitar etc)

I'm using Windows version

Many thanks

Andy
currently lmms has no methods for external recording. you can 'record' pressed keys to a piano-roll-score, but not audio
Use audacity (free) or any other recording proggy of your choice.
In lmms you load shorter recorded file into the AdioFileProcessor AFP-preset, very long is best inserted in a sample-track
b.r.
andydduk wrote:Hi
I'm new to LMMS, is it only for dance? If not, what is best way of recording vocals and other audio (bass and guitar etc)

Many thanks

Andy

There are different ways to record vocals but it is best to use separate recording programs. I also use a separate Ubuntu Studio Computer to play tracks I create on my high powered audio computer. So one is for playing tracks and the other is for heavy composing and editing.

I do all my composing in LMMS, save and export it.
I open the export in Audacity. You can attach your USB mic or your external mic to the input port and record your vocal tracks. The problem with doing this is the delay you will get in your headset (you should use a good headset and isolate noise around your microphone) because you cannot record and playback on the same motherboard even though you may have multiple sound cards.
The way I deal with the delay is to use two LMMS systems on separate computers with a pro mixer in between the systems. In addition, it is best to have a mixer that has effects built in that will enhance your voice. Attach a headset to your mixer. you will hear your music and voice clearly in the headset.
I record the input on Audacity. Watch the input gain. What the computer hears is different from what your mixer headphone hears. Do a few test runs. Set Audacity to playback in your audio output. DO NOT PLAY THE SYSTEM AUDIO OUTPUT THROUGH YOUR RECORDING MIXER! Send that to studio monitors or a very good stereo system. I also export the audio on the Mp3 player and go listen to it in the car.

I recorded this piece using this technique: https://soundcloud.com/theorganloft-1/s ... r-a-bridge

Good Luck!
TheOrganLoft wrote:
Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:11 pm

Many thanks

Andy

There are different ways to record vocals but it is best to use separate recording programs. I also use a separate Ubuntu Studio Computer to play tracks I create on my high powered audio computer. So one is for playing tracks and the other is for heavy composing and editing.

I open the export in Audacity. You can attach your USB mic or your external mic to the input port and record your vocal tracks. The problem with doing this is the delay you will get in your headset (you should use a good headset and isolate noise around your microphone) because you cannot record and playback on the same motherboard even though you may have multiple sound cards.
The way I deal with the delay is to use two LMMS systems on separate computers with a pro mixer in between the systems. In addition, it is best to have a mixer that has effects built in that will enhance your voice. Attach a headset to your mixer. you will hear your music and voice clearly in the headset.
I record the input on Audacity. Watch the input gain. What the computer hears is different from what your mixer Headphone hears. Do a few test runs. Set Audacity to playback in your audio output. DO NOT PLAY THE SYSTEM AUDIO OUTPUT THROUGH YOUR RECORDING MIXER! Send that to studio monitors or a very good stereo system. I also export the audio on the Mp3 player and go listen to it in the car.

I recorded this piece using this technique: https://soundcloud.com/theorganloft-1/s ... r-a-bridge

Good Luck!
Nice post dear , I'm new to LMMS, is it only for dance? If not, what is best way of recording vocals and other audio (bass and guitar etc)
Ryan2tawfiq wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:58 pm
I'm new to LMMS,
Hi, Welcome to the Forum Ryan2tawfiq !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions, amo that we prefer to have all questions in separate threads, so please do not add questions inside other threads :) - Often they will also be missed, and not answered.
is it only for dance?
Absolutely not! LMMS can be used for Bach-to-Beatles Blondie BB-King and Beyond Beyonce -Even for other letters too :)

Everything can be made in LMMS -Excepts, as already explained, audio recording, here i refer to answers above, and Audacity.
Audacity. 8-)
TheOrganLoft wrote:
Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:11 pm

Many thanks

Andy

I open the export in Audacity. You can attach your USB mic for streaming or your external mic to the input port and record your vocal tracks. The problem with doing this is the delay you will get in your headset (you should use a good headset and isolate noise around your microphone) because you cannot record and playback on the same motherboard even though you may have multiple sound cards.
I record the input on Audacity. Watch the input gain. What the computer hears is different from what your mixer headphone hears. Do a few test runs. Set Audacity to playback in your audio output. DO NOT PLAY THE SYSTEM AUDIO OUTPUT THROUGH YOUR RECORDING MIXER! Send that to studio monitors or a very good stereo system. I also export the audio on the Mp3 player and go listen to it in the car.

Good Luck!
I want to hear the built-in voices in the keyboard. Is this possible at all?
Choose a proper space. In some ways, this will be your most important decision apart from choosing the right singer. (And if the singer hires you, then that part isn’t even a choice.) If you have access to a large room with wood floors, that can be great for classical vocals. For rock and pop vocals, you want a “deader” room with minimal reverb. If you’re in a small apartment, turn to your closet. Your clothing provides great sound absorption, and you can add reverb when you mix, thanks to the fantastic array of reverb plugins available in today’s digital audio software. (Although be warned that when it comes to vocals, a little reverb goes a long way.)

Choose the right microphone.
There are three types of microphones used to record vocals. Dynamic microphones are the simplest option and models like the Shure SM58 are ubiquitous at live shows. In the studio, many engineers favor the Shure SM7 which is much larger than the 58, with a more bass-focused soundstage. Condenser microphones are even more popular in the studio and options range from the very expensive Neuman U87 to the still pricey AKG C414 to the comparatively affordable Audio Technica 4033 or the Sennheiser MD421. And for a truly classic sound, many turn to ribbon mics like the expensive Royer 121 or the affordable Cascade FAT HEAD.

Place your microphone in the right zone.
As important as it is to choose the right mic, it won’t do you any good if it’s not placed properly. If you are using a cardioid condenser mic like the Rode RT1-A, you’ll want to place your vocalist between 4 and 12 inches from the microphone. With an omnidirectional condenser microphone like the AKG C414 (which can also be a cardioid mic), you can get much closer to the vocalist—they can practically be touching the mic as long as they aren’t singing too loud. Don’t forget to use a pop filter to block out annoying plosives on hard consonant sounds. (TIP: If you don’t have a pop filter, put a piece of fabric over the mic. Even a clean sock will work.)

Use a good preamp. A great microphone will provide most of its own tone. But top studio engineers almost always send vocals through a preamp to add “warmth” (which is a euphemism for ultra-mild distortion). The ART ProMPA II is a bargain-priced preamp that can sound like something costing far more. If you have a large budget, splurge on the Universal Audio SOLO/610.

Work with your vocalist to make them relaxed and confident. As an engineer/producer, you’re at the mercy of your vocalist for a great recording. So treat them right. Make sure they have water, make sure they like the temperature of the room, and make sure they’ve had time to warm up. If they seem anxious and self-conscious, have them do a few warm-up takes, but press record on those “warm-ups.” Sometimes performers are at their best when they think it doesn’t count. Be mindful of the singer and don’t push their voice into exhaustion—especially if you plan to record more than one song during your session.

Do 3-6 takes and then stop. If your vocalist is properly warmed up and knows the lyrics and melody, you’ll probably get the full range of their abilities over the course of the first three takes. Additional takes can be useful if you want to experiment with mic placement or if the vocalist gets distracted or falls off the beat. Many finished vocal tracks contain excerpts from multiple takes. And if a performance is great with only a single error, just “punch in” the section where there was an error and don’t waste your singer’s voice on a whole new take.

Effects come later.
There are a lot of ways to manipulate vocals, from compression to reverb to delay to mild flanging and chorus (which creates a double-tracking effect). More than anything, you’ll want to EQ the vocals, emphasizing the upper mids for articulation and the lower mids for resonance. But save those for after you’ve recorded. You can always load up a clean vocal with lots of effects. But if you record with a bunch of effects, you’ll never be able to strip them away.
Hi, I think USB microphones with good features and entry-level recorders will do the job. They will allow you to record in good quality without noise and are useful for Skype, video chats, streaming, and podcasts. You also need to consider the studio size where you will record your voice. If it's a chamber room or even your room, it's cool to use asmr microphones. Many recorders have a built-in sound card that you can do post-processing on. You might also like Audio-Technica AT2050 and Sennheiser MK4 home studio condenser microphones or Roland CS-10EM and Sennheiser AMBEO Smart Headset binaural headsets.
The easiest solution for binaural recording - is no dummy microphone needed because the headset has a microphone built into each earpiece.