LMMS needs coders

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
64 posts
amaretosdefractor wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 8:28 pm
Personally for me, the best approach works when I learn basic operations like printing, input, and mathematical operations, then embark on my own personal project (like a Calculator) and look to the internet for help whenever needed (this is where, in Java, I learnt about character input, methods, and usage of next instead of nextLine, etc)...
viewtopic.php?t=35311#p78649
I shouldn't make posts long enough to copy off, should I?
This is yet another spam bot.
Monospace wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 2:57 am
This is yet another spam bot.
Looks like it, but just report the post. User will have to prove ID now -Warned.
musikbear wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 3:50 pm
Looks like it, but just report the post. User will have to prove ID now -Warned.
So sorry! Will do. Thanks.
Okay, so I know this topic kind of went in a different direction (technical specifics of coding under linux and such) and is a little old, but I thought I might be able to share some personal experiences. I'm speaking as a hobby programmer with experience in many BASIC dialects, as well as 2 years in Python and VisualBasic (and a little bit of batch and Assembler on the side). Not trying to brag about it, that's just the basis for my ... "predictions" and such.
Gps wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:18 pm
I am wondering thinking, if I could help, and how much time this would take me.
Read something about the devs, needing more code reviewers than actual coders.
I only know C and such on a very basic level, but from what I understand it's of course one of the more widespread and powerful languages out there, but one that also comes with a steep learning curve. Just learning the concepts of programming and the specifics of their application in a language isn't everything though, there is a lot that comes from experience. An experienced programmer might be able to understand code at a glance, that a novice might take a nocitcably longer time to comprehend despite a complete theoretical and practical understanding. I learned Python in a out a week, but it took a month until I had the capabilities to work on some of the projects I was aiming for.

Coming back to the aspect of time: I would say nothing less than a year. That might sound like quite a lot, but as I said, I learned the basics of Python in a week and got to grips with it in a month but learning all the iintricacies of the tools I needed, developing methods for certain things and generally gaining experience took a lot longer. One can start coding fairly quickly but it takes time before one gets a good hold of their tools. And considering we're talking about code reviewing here: Reading someone elses code is something quite different from coding yourself. When you code, you just have to translate your intent into code. When you read someone elses code, you have to derive their intent and the apporach they took towards it to understand it. I was comfortable with writing programs from day one, but my chanches of understanding someone elses source code were slim to none. Even after that year, I wasn't a fluent reader of other peoples work.
Gps wrote:
I doubt serious I could code new stuff, but code reviewing maybe?
Assuming this would not just be a simple spellcheck (most compilers and IDEs do that kind of stuff already automatically) this would require an understanding of a programs operation. So you'd need the knowledge of a C++ programmer to be a C++ reviewer.
Gps wrote:
Were do I start ? C++ for dummies ?
I've had good experienes with literally these books actually. Of course there's always tutorials for everything online and there have been plenty of ressources shared in this thread already. If you want a dummies book, I can only give glowing recommendations for them in general as a starting-off point, but I can't speak for their C++ one in particular.
Gps wrote:
I have done some coding in BASIC many years ago, but never anything in C.

10 PRINT "the computer is mad"
20 GOTO 10

run

For x is 1 to 200 next X or something like that . :P
As already discussed in the thread, C++ is quite different from BASIC. Line numbers were never very convenient, because they lead to "spaghetti-code": GOTO instructions everywhere without any sense of easily understood structure (just like a pile of stringy noodles - that's where the name comes from). Many programming languages base their structure on loops and conditions rather than numbers. Infact, most variants of BASIC like QuickBasic or TI-BASIC do this as well, it's really only the Commodore era BASIC, that is solely reliant on line numbers.

How you want to go on your programming journey would of course mainly be determined by the end goal. If you just want to get into it first and are comfortable with BASIC, there are, as mentioned, improved variants of it with better capabilities. If your end goal is C++ you could of course start with it immediately - or slowly ease your way towards it by first learning other languages. I for example grew up with Scratch (a really easy, educational, point-and-click programming tool), moved to Commodore-BASIC, then QuickBasic 4.5, Microsoft VisualBasic, Python and only then started aiming for something a lot more challenging, in my case x86 Assembler. Which I can't recommend (it's cool but not very practical) and is definitely harder to work with than C++ of course.

Again, I'm not trying to brag (I was never too clever or brilliant with any of that stuff and it was a lot of banging my head against a wall until I understodd it), I've never coded in any professional capacity, but if you've got any questions I'd be happy to answer them to the best of my abilities.
64 posts