LMMS and Musescore experiment

Share and discuss your LMMS music projects here, and see what people think!
I wrote something in Musescore and decided it felt like it needed some electric piano and some Hammond organ which I couldn't get in Musescore. So I imported the track into LMMS as an ogg file (using the audio file processor) so I could then add the instruments I wanted.

I think it turned out alright: https://jdc3.bandcamp.com/track/lmms-and-musescore
FilthyWizard wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:21 pm
I wrote something in Musescore and decided it felt like it needed some electric piano and some Hammond organ which I couldn't get in Musescore.
I don't which version you're using, but you can absolutely get an electric piano and a hammond organ in MuseScore. You can get loads of instruments infact and even load in Soundfonts if you don't like the default sound. If you want to know how, there's probably lots of tutorials on this but essentially:

(1) Check out Edit > Instruments - you can get almost any instrument here
(2) Check out the mixer (press F10 or use View > Mixer), you can select any General Midi instrument from a list for each staff (represented by a mixer channel)
(3) Check out the synthesizer, which doesn't have a shortcut, but is also located in View > Synthesizer - "Fluid" can load in sf2 files; Soundfonts and "Zerberus" can open sfz instrument files
Mampfwurm wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:27 am
FilthyWizard wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:21 pm
I wrote something in Musescore and decided it felt like it needed some electric piano and some Hammond organ which I couldn't get in Musescore.
I don't which version you're using, but you can absolutely get an electric piano and a hammond organ in MuseScore. You can get loads of instruments infact and even load in Soundfonts if you don't like the default sound. If you want to know how, there's probably lots of tutorials on this but essentially:

(1) Check out Edit > Instruments - you can get almost any instrument here
(2) Check out the mixer (press F10 or use View > Mixer), you can select any General Midi instrument from a list for each staff (represented by a mixer channel)
(3) Check out the synthesizer, which doesn't have a shortcut, but is also located in View > Synthesizer - "Fluid" can load in sf2 files; Soundfonts and "Zerberus" can open sfz instrument files
Thank you for this! I hadn't realised there were instruments which didn't show up by default.

I've been going through them just now checking out all the organs and electric pianos. I tried the first two methods and I might look at using the synthesizer at some point.

I have the best of both worlds now - I can do what I want in either LMMS or Musescore, or I can use them both.
FilthyWizard wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:46 am
Thank you for this! I hadn't realised there were instruments which didn't show up by default.
No problem. I only learned this trick after a couple months too.
FilthyWizard wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:46 am
I've been going through them just now checking out all the organs and electric pianos. I tried the first two methods and I might look at using the synthesizer at some point.
Another thing I didn't mention, as I was thinking about editing something existing: When creating a new score and using the "Choose instruments" template there is going to be a drop-down menu bloew the search bar on the left. By default "Common" is selected, but you can also choose "All instruments" at the top of this list, otherwise the "Electronic" category of instruments isn't even going to be listed for example.

Either way, happy to help.