HOW TO MAKE A BIG ROOM KICK

Write guides and how-tos about LMMS for other members.
Introduction...
Have you ever wanted to make big room house in LMMS but couldn't ever create a booming kick? Well, you can now. Read this guide to build your very own big room kick.

If you would like a sample of the project, it is in the attachments. If you want the WAV version of the kick, you can download it from the link I have left in the conclusion. I hope you enjoy the guide, if you decide to follow it through.

Before you start...
- Create a beat / bassline pattern
- Drag on the Watsyn plugin (from the instrument plugins tab).
- Drag the following samples in:
drums/bassdrum04.ogg
drums/kick_hiphop01.ogg

Now let's configure the Watsyn...
It's pretty simple, just click on the plugin to open the menu up, we need to set the octave correctly so it produces a bass sound.

Can you see the green square on the piano preview at the bottom of the small panel? You will need to click on the C7 note and then it will default to a low note when used on the beat / bassline editor.

Next, you will need to open ENV / LFO, click the wave at the top so it goes green and use the following settings:
Delay: 0
Attack: 0
Hold: 0
Decay: 0.365
Sustain: 0
Release: 0

Mastering your kick...
At the moment, if you put the three kicks together, they are going to sound dreadful. There will be lots of distortion which is what we don't want. How do we solve this, you may ask? Mastering.

The way I mastered this was pretty simple. You just need to do the following:
- Go to the FX-Mixer and create a new channel.
- Click on the sounds we dragged onto the beat editor so it opens their panels. You'll see a box at the top with green text that controls the "FX" channel. Set the value for all of the sounds to your new channel's number. In my case, it'll be one as it is the only channel in my project.
- Click on your channel in the FX-Mixer where the kicks are assigned to so it highlights the box. Now you need to click on add effect.
- Search for the Calf Compressor LADSPA plugin and press OK when you have selected it.
- Only modify the following settings: Ratio = 1 / Threshold = 0.5.

Conclusion...
Now with a bit of luck after doing all of that, if you stack the kicks in the beat / bassline editor, you will have a nice kick with a bass trail, a bit like a big room house kick. If you were unable to produce this sound for some reason, I have left the project file in the attachments. If you want a WAV sample of this kick, use this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h9gs5pc7du06h ... 3.wav?dl=0

Thank you for reading this guide and I hope you have learnt something from it.
Very nice Tut James! I might just have to try out making this kick myself.
YES, BUT, WHICH KEYS DO I HAVE TO
TIGHTEN ON
BEAT / BASSLINE?
hooo yea that nice thanks
First off, Welcome to the Forum josemaria & ARTHelectro
Here are all important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
josemaria wrote:hooo yea that nice thanks
ARTHelectro wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:32 am
YES, BUT, WHICH KEYS DO I HAVE TO
TIGHTEN ON
BEAT / BASSLINE?
Can you explain what you mean with "TIGHTEN ON"
Best kick tutorial I've seen ever!!

Thanks for the great tips. I took your method and added kicker (turned 'click' knob to zero) and layered some drums (with a short decay envelope enabled). I added a little bass boost, some tube distortion, Tal Reverb and a very short delay (canyon delay). I also set the filter in camel crusher to a low frequency. I finally got the distorted bass sound I wanted.

LMMS is far more impressive for drum making than I could've imagined. At first I tried using Audacity for mixing samples into but after trying this out I have to say, LMMS 'kicks' butt. :-)

I still have much to learn but these tutorials really help out a lot. Thank you for posting!