External VSTs seem to be broken

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Guess who's back babyyyyyyy. Third time's the charm and Cakewalk is starting to look very attractive
After reinstalling LMMS due to the reaxcomp issue and the equalizer issue.....now it will not load external VSTs, either with VeSTige or as effect plugins. I've reinstalled some of the VSTs, but even with the paths set LMMS just refuses to load them in new or old projects.

It it literally right there.

...Upon closer inspection, LMMS is using / instead of \. I feel like this may be part of the issue.

If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.
vlbonnie wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:14 am
Guess who's back babyyyyyyy. Third time's the charm and Cakewalk is starting to look very attractive
After reinstalling LMMS due to the reaxcomp issue and the equalizer issue.....now it will not load external VSTs, either with VeSTige or as effect plugins. I've reinstalled some of the VSTs, but even with the paths set LMMS just refuses to load them in new or old projects.

...Upon closer inspection, LMMS is using / instead of \. I feel like this may be part of the issue.

It is not LMMS that cant use that VST, it is you.
Sorry to have to say, but Your critique is not grounded in reality.
The dll of the VST has to be in the folder where you have your VST-plugin-path. Alter-ego is an effect, not an instrument.
It is also commercial afair, and if you only have a demo, or a illegal copy, it is most likely it wont work. I have not used alter-ego, but afair Brandystarbrite has, i think he even has written a tutorial.
Look for that, or IM Brandy.
musikbear wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:17 pm
vlbonnie wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:14 am

It is not LMMS that cant use that VST, it is you.
Sorry to have to say, but Your critique is not grounded in reality.
The dll of the VST has to be in the folder where you have your VST-plugin-path. Alter-ego is an effect, not an instrument.
It is also commercial afair, and if you only have a demo, or a illegal copy, it is most likely it wont work. I have not used alter-ego, but afair Brandystarbrite has, i think he even has written a tutorial.
Look for that, or IM Brandy.
With all due respect, you do not know what you're talking about. Alter/Ego is free (at least the voicebank I'm using, Marie Ork, is completely free.) It is a real time singing synthesizer instrument, and I have a video of me using it with VeSTige in the past. There is no "demo" or "illegal copy" unless I was using a voice like ALYS or Leora, who are both discontinued to my knowledge. Both the .dll and the voicebank were in the same folder at the time of that recording as they currently are.

And upon loading the same project file now...
Have you installed LMMS 1.3 instead of 1.2.2? Go back and install the latter and check if it works.
Though, I've done something similar and it shouldn't cause this problem.
Reinstalling after the whole reaxcomp thing won't do anything, by the way.
Monospace wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:35 am
Have you installed LMMS 1.3 instead of 1.2.2? Go back and install the latter and check if it works.
Though, I've done something similar and it shouldn't cause this problem.
Reinstalling after the whole reaxcomp thing won't do anything, by the way.
Oh god I realized what the issue is. I kept downloading the 32 bit version of LMMS by mistake. A/E is 64 bit. I think the worst part is that I've done this before
Maybe my post will help people who are having trouble using LMMS with Alter Ego. I spent most of my day checking out the latest singing sythesis software. Most recently I just happened to be installing Alter Ego 1.573 for the first time. I was kind of excited about trying it after seeing some demo videos.

I'm using LMMS 1.2.2. My PC is running Windows 10. I installed Alter Ego and during the installation it asked for my MIDI device. I don't have a MIDI keyboard and besides I want to run Alter Ego as a VST from LMMS. So I left the answer blank.

Once I had it installed, I opened LMMS and used My Computer on the left panel to locate AlterEgo VST_x64.dll in c:\program files\plogue\alter ego\vst. Then I dragged and dropped the dll file into the song-editor. I got a new Alter Ego track, and this also caused the Alter Ego GUI to open. I get a message that I need to download a voice bank, which I already did. But it did find it on it's own after a few moments delay!

From that stage I had to adjust some things on the Alter Ego GUI to get the voice bank I want, etc. One must select the preset text or type in new text in the GUI. Then enter the tune in the Alter Ego track. Then when I play the track I hear the words being sung to the tune I entered.

I just started and I'm sure I have some things to learn to make the best use of Alter Ego. But I must say I'm impressed.

Now I just need to figure out which voices are actually free for commercial use and which I need to pay for. :)
solitoncool wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:34 am
Maybe my post will help people who are having trouble using LMMS with Alter Ego. I spent most of my day checking out the latest singing sythesis software. Most recently I just happened to be installing Alter Ego 1.573 for the first time. I was kind of excited about trying it after seeing some demo videos.

I'm using LMMS 1.2.2. My PC is running Windows 10. I installed Alter Ego and during the installation it asked for my MIDI device. I don't have a MIDI keyboard and besides I want to run Alter Ego as a VST from LMMS. So I left the answer blank.

Once I had it installed, I opened LMMS and used My Computer on the left panel to locate AlterEgo VST_x64.dll in c:\program files\plogue\alter ego\vst. Then I dragged and dropped the dll file into the song-editor. I got a new Alter Ego track, and this also caused the Alter Ego GUI to open. I get a message that I need to download a voice bank, which I already did. But it did find it on it's own after a few moments delay!

From that stage I had to adjust some things on the Alter Ego GUI to get the voice bank I want, etc. One must select the preset text or type in new text in the GUI. Then enter the tune in the Alter Ego track. Then when I play the track I hear the words being sung to the tune I entered.

I just started and I'm sure I have some things to learn to make the best use of Alter Ego. But I must say I'm impressed.

Now I just need to figure out which voices are actually free for commercial use and which I need to pay for. :)
Thank you!
Users of Alta-ego would find this very useful
Regarding Alter Ego, for me it's still an experiment. I am not always getting good results from relying on English even though the language setting is English. Now I'm learning the phonetic alphabet they provide, since one can use it to make adjustments to the vocals.