How to time-warp and pitch shift without external programs

Write guides and how-tos about LMMS for other members.
Have you ever wanted to do something in a worse way than just doing it as you're supposed to out of spite?
Well, you're in luck!

If you have ever wanted to make a very limited and bad sounding pitch shift/time warp in lmms instead of just using audacity or a plug-in then this tutorial will be of great help!

A couple of things to have in mind is that i was using the version 1.3.0 of lmms. So if you want to do this as well it might be a good idea to save constantly. Specially with larger audio files since LMMS is prone to crashing.

1. Get an audio file.
2. Put in the AudioFileProcessor
3. Set up an automation channel.
4.now, click on the AFP.
5. link (CTRL+drag) the start of the sample knob into the automation
6. go to the arpeggio part in the AFP and change the settings so the time knob is low. Around 80 ms will do for now. Leave the gate for later.
7. on the envelope settings, turn the "amt" and "sust" knobs all the way to the right.
8. now click on the song editor create a note that lasts for as many full bars as you want.
9. then got to the automation and change the config to be linear progression (the little triangle button next to "tension").
10. Now make sure that the first point is on zero when seen from left to right and also at the bottom (or wherever you want your sample to start. The bottom is 0 and the top is 1. Make sure to be as precise as possible) and your last point ends where the note ends on the piano roll when seen from left to right and has a value of 1 (at the top).

Now you can play the song and revel in the fruit of your efforts while suffering at the annoying clicking that comes with it.

You can tinker with the time and gate knobs in the arpeggio section and also with the attack and release in order to mitigate the clicking.

Also you can change the pitch using either the pitch knob or the detune tool in the piano roll. Keep in mind that anything over or under 7 semitones becomes very wonky and will need extra work to sound good. You can change the Linear to none in order to mask the clicking

And lastly you can do a weird backwards play by pressing either of the flip buttons in the automation.

That's all i have for you today folks. If you have any questions or comments please make sure to let me know and i will make sure to answer as soon as i see them.

-SamXID
Generic_mexican_user wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:50 am
Have you ever wanted to do something in a worse way than just doing it as you're supposed to out of spite?
Well, you're in luck!

If you have ever wanted to make a very limited and bad sounding pitch shift/time warp in lmms instead of just using audacity or a plug-in then this tutorial will be of great help!

A couple of things to have in mind is that i was using the version 1.3.0 of lmms. So if you want to do this as well it might be a good idea to save constantly. Specially with larger audio files since LMMS is prone to crashing.

1. Get an audio file.
4.now, click on the AFP.
6. go to the arpeggio part in the AFP and change the settings so the time knob is low. Around 80 ms will do for now. Leave the gate for later.
7. on the envelope settings, turn the "amt" and "sust" knobs all the way to the right.
8. now click on the song editor create a note that lasts for as many full bars as you want.
9. then got to the automation and change the config to be linear progression (the little triangle button next to "tension").
10. Now make sure that the first point is on zero when seen from left to right and also at the bottom (or wherever you want your sample to start. The bottom is 0 and the top is 1. Make sure to be as precise as possible) and your last point ends where the note ends on the piano roll when seen from left to right and has a value of 1 (at the top).

Now you can play the song and revel in the fruit of your efforts while suffering at the annoying clicking that comes with it.

You can tinker with the time and gate knobs in the arpeggio section and also with the attack and release in order to mitigate the clicking.

Also you can change the pitch using either the pitch knob or the detune tool in the piano roll. Keep in mind that anything over or under 7 semitones becomes very wonky and will need extra work to sound good. You can change the Linear to none in order to mask the clicking

And lastly you can do a weird backwards play by pressing either of the flip buttons in the automation.

That's all i have for you today folks. If you have any questions or comments please make sure to let me know and i will make sure to answer as soon as i see them.

-SamXID

Thank you so much for this useful tutorial and resource! I will try it later to see how it sounds.

Have a great evening ahead! Cheers!
Well, you're in luck!

1. Get an audio file.
4.now, click on the AFP.

-SamXID
Indeed interesting!
Could you try
PITCH 1572
RANGE 29
Those removes clicking on the sample i used
.......There are WAY more to this!
Whoa. I didn't think of arpeggios. I simply added an LMMS-delay and automated that... huh.
Perhaps a bit much.
Something i forgot to mention is that you can mess with the automation in order to get a DJ scratch sound.
musikbear wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:03 pm
Well, you're in luck!

-SamXID
Indeed interesting!
Could you try
PITCH 1572
RANGE 29
Those removes clicking on the sample i used
.......There are WAY more to this!
hi, Muskibear!
every sample has different configurations to deal with the clicking. The higher the pitch the more clicking you'll hear.
this method is good if you have a loop (like a drum pattern) and you want your song to change tempo midway through.
You can also do a pseudo-vinyl scratch if you mess with the automation.

Actually this method is great if you throw in some eq and white noise to make it sound real vintage.