LMMS file version

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi

I have questions about the LMMS version that was used to save a LMMS file.

- is there a way to find which LMMS version was used to save a LMMS file if you don't have that information?
Can we open it with a text editor or something to find the version?

- can a LMMS file saved with an older LMMS version be opened with a newer LMMS version?

- can a LMMS file saved with a newer LMMS version be opened with an older LMMS version?

Lisa
is there a way to find which LMMS version was used to save a LMMS file if you don't have that information?
Not easily. Currently, you can upload it to our LSP and it will tell you.

https://lmms.io/lsp/
Generally no, the .mmpz files use an odd compression which can't easily be viewed.
can a LMMS file saved with an older LMMS version be opened with a newer LMMS version?
Generally, yes. We try to update the project to still work, but your mileage may vary.
can a LMMS file saved with a newer LMMS version be opened with an older LMMS version?
Generally, yes, but it may have more serious issues playing due to internal things changing between versions.
tresf wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:39 am
is there a way to find which LMMS version was used to save a LMMS file if you don't have that information?
Not easily. Currently, you can upload it to our LSP and it will tell you.

https://lmms.io/lsp/
Can we do it manually in some way? I would like to know if it's possible
blender.girl wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:47 pm
Can we do it manually in some way? I would like to know if it's possible
Opening it in LMMS will load/fail to load the project and in the bottom left corner it may tell you for a few seconds which version was used.
Alternatively, saving project as .mmp (not .mmpz, you can save for individual projects or change the default setting) will let you read in a text editor which version was used.
blender.girl wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:03 am
Hi

I have questions about the LMMS version that was used to save a LMMS file.

- is there a way to find which LMMS version was used to save a LMMS file if you don't have that information?

- can a LMMS file saved with an older LMMS version be opened with a newer LMMS version?

- can a LMMS file saved with a newer LMMS version be opened with an older LMMS version?

Lisa
This is about the closest it get, and is what Monospace said about the 'message':
You get info about the version. This project was 10 y old.
It plays fine in LMMS 1.2.2
I do not wholehearted agree with tresf in regard to opening new projects in old versions of LMMS especially 1.3 has a couple of features changed witch basically will give you a fault for each track in the project, complaining that Midi-controllers are not found.
But honestly, what would be a reason for using an old version of LMMS? None imo, and it is completely in coherence with all software i know: Downgrade, and new files wont work!
Upward-compatibility is unheard of.
LMMS can boast with unprecedented grandiose downward-compatibility. Project made on LMMS0.3 will still work in 1.3
Amazing! -and NOT common in software -at all !

Besides all that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome blender.girl!
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
Monospace wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:20 pm
Alternatively, saving project as .mmp (not .mmpz, you can save for individual projects or change the default setting) will let you read in a text editor which version was used.
So a .mmpz file is just a .mmp file but with some sort of compression applied to it?
blender.girl wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:23 pm
So a .mmpz file is just a .mmp file but with some sort of compression applied to it?
I believe it is. Also, just renaming an mmp file to mmpz won't work.