Tough lesson in saving

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I was having some an annoying issue after saving a project (put 2 hours of mastering into it).
I'm running LMMS 1.2.2 on Windows 11 with a 2.6 Ghz processor.

I hit Ctr+S (save) followed by Alt+F4 (close) and I think I did it too quickly (i.e the project didn't fully save in time) because LMMS froze and I had to close it from task manager.

I tried reopening the project again and it freezes at 89%.

I then ran the bak file of that project and same thing, freezes at 89%.

Finally, I tried 'restore previous versions' on the LMMS projects folder and I successfully recovered the project (from the day before).

My advice to others... Make sure you save, wait 3 or 5 seconds and then close. Also, hit Ctr+S throughout your progress. If you spent hours on something without saving and LMMS crashes you could lose all your work (though I love that LMMS creates an temporary backup file when this happens).

I guess this leaves me with the question - is there a way to recover a corrupted save? Thanks guys. :-)
No, the best thing you have is recover.mmp bak file- it IS the way to recover corrupted saves, but the thing is, if there was a way to recover corrupted save wouldn't it be the default save by itself? (:
LMMS creates a temporary backup file ALL the time, not only "when this happens". How does LMMS know when you'll crash? It doesn't know. So it creates a backup file regularly.
The best you can do, is go to settings, enable "Allow auto-save while playing" and reduce the time gap of your autosave. This also means that sometimes there is no version of a file without an irreversible mistake you made a few minutes ago, though, so be careful.
Me, I carefully version each time I make major noticeable differences because you never know...
Perhaps a bit too many.

In any case, versioning control be thy friend.
Monospace wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:00 am
Me, I carefully version each time I make major noticeable differences
🙏😍

But when is it safe to shut down?
You get a message!
Look in left low of the screen.
Every time you make a manual save, you get a respond from LMMS and it is very important to look at that every time you save!
It will either say something like: Project zxcv saved successfully
OR
Project zxcv was not saved saved! There was an error
If you see the error warning, you should use save-as and save the project to an other folder with a new name.
For all that likes suspenders and belt, take a look at the saved project on disk, and make an estimate on weather the files size seams to be sane for a project of that complexity.
Failed saves are only a few KB in size.
I have tried to make the save messages in different colors, but Qt -our "beloved" UI layer would not play ball 🙄
Also -Do as Monospace says: Use version control!
Even with careful version, sometimes the minor changes are worth a lot to you and I've lost them before... [: that would be a lot of bad luck.
Damn, I've a Similar Situation Happen today.
I was working on a Project, Hit the Save Button cuz I had to leave. After it Saved Exited out of LMMS then Hit the Physical Power Button on my Computer.

Came back tried to load up the previous file I saved. It said " The File <File Name> seems to contain errors and therefore could not be loaded ".

I clicked on the back up like a normal do except nothing happen no matter how many times I click. Checked the Properties of the file and it said it contained 0 bytes.

Does this mean there is literally nothing I can do to Save It? Is there a way to modify the file? I tried using testdisk but got confused.

Maybe it has to do with this particularly broken file not having recycling icon unlike the rest of my functioning backup files that do.
Veggie Savage wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:25 pm
Damn, I've a Similar Situation Happen today.
I was working on a Project, Hit the Save Button cuz I had to leave. After it Saved Exited out of LMMS then Hit the Physical Power Button on my Computer.

Came back tried to load up the previous file I saved. It said " The File <File Name> seems to contain errors and therefore could not be loaded ".

I clicked on the back up like a normal do except nothing happen no matter how many times I click. Checked the Properties of the file and it said it contained 0 bytes.

Does this mean there is literally nothing I can do to Save It? Is there a way to modify the file? I tried using testdisk but got confused.

Maybe it has to do with this particularly broken file not having recycling icon unlike the rest of my functioning backup files that do.
I got the similar issue a while back. Not sure what exactly happened. I had to use the recover.mmp backup file from users>Documents>lmms. It didn't have all my modifications saved, but it had to do.
Can't pinpoint reason. Seemingly random but unlikely.
Something like that happened to me years ago. When I used the back up file, all of the newer changes weren't saved, but at least the original changes in the project, were still there.