How do I become a developer?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
15 year old Indian kid here. I love LMMS and I really think that I should start contributing to the project. The problem is that I don't really know how to program. How and where should I start? How long will it take to be good enough? Which programming language should I learn? (I know a lil bit c++, nothing more than that). I hope someone will be able to help me.

(In case you are in for helping, please link some resources to learn programming too. Thank you)
Techtonex wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:24 pm
15 year old Indian kid here. I love LMMS and I really think that I should start contributing to the project. The problem is that I don't really know how to program. How and where should I start? How long will it take to be good enough? Which programming language should I learn? (I know a lil bit c++, nothing more than that). I hope someone will be able to help me.

(In case you are in for helping, please link some resources to learn programming too. Thank you)
Its great that you want to become a Dev, but maby you should start with contributing in other ways. It could be translating or art-work?
Programming language is c++, c++11 to be more precise. Interfase is based on QT5, but its a tall order to tackle coding without some years experience.
What i would advise you is to read this article:
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/wiki/Contr ... ep-by-Step
Then download the source, and open some files. If you can understand the code, then its just to find an issue, or add something you feel is missing, and then after your edits has been merged, you are a Dev :)
Techtonex wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:24 pm

I hope you get through with learning to program. It will be tough at first, but hopefully it will get easier as time passes by. Good luck.
I also advise you to study React.JS, Node.JS. Nowadays these are very promising languages that are used in software development. Today, in quarantine, it is very relevant, because such skills give you the opportunity to work from home.
Any problem can be solved; it's a matter of time and money. The most popular programs for 2021 are JavaScript, Python, Java, PHP, and CSS. You can choose one of them at your discretion. It's best to start with homeschooling. There are two main directions in which to move: theory and practice. A home project is the best thing you can do to move in both directions at once.
I started an online course with udemy.
Just click on a tutorial on youtube for free to get started
laforetlaura wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:23 am
I also advise you to study React.JS, Node.JS. Nowadays these are very promising languages that are used in software development. Today, in quarantine, it is very relevant, because such skills give you the opportunity to work from home.
These are pop languages, but if you want to learning Underlying technology, the language must be assembler language and C. For example, Many core components of windows are written in assembly language. And if you learn Node.js, Many hosts use nginx, this is wrtten in only C.