Sidechaining Reverb

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hello all. I have a difficult question but I thought I'd ask.

I know how to connect instrument(s) to an FX channel (bus) containing a peak controller, but I was wondering, does anyone know if there's a way to sidechain the reverb from a lead against the background instruments/elements?

I guess I'm looking for a delayed compression in volume that can be modulated, in which case I suppose I could connect an automation track to one of the buses. It would be very difficult to draw all that but at least thank goodness for copy and paste.

Any thoughts are welcome and thanks for your time. :-)
Electropocalypse wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:20 pm

I know how to connect instrument(s) to an FX channel (bus) containing a peak controller, but I was wondering, does anyone know if there's a way to sidechain the reverb from a lead against the background instruments/elements?

I guess I'm looking for a delayed compression in volume that can be modulated, in which case I suppose I could connect an automation track to one of the buses. It would be very difficult to draw all that but at least thank goodness for copy and paste.

Sidechain is in reality nothing else than repeated changes of output volume in a precise pattern.
That fact is utilized to its max in FLs where they simply has a volume-envelope on every instrument, and the user will simply draw a curve for the volume over the time-span of the duration of the output.
Draw!
Nothing compressed or sliders moving
Draw!
That is the bare-bones of side-chaining!
We do not have that in LMMS -..yet(?)
Redoing this with automation will be serious cumbersome, because the onset of the reverb will depend on each notes length! 😱
If the notes are of identical length, then ..Doable!
If not .. yak ..
Not sure in the VST big-kix allow shaping more than the clean note, at least thats how2 i remember it, and its settings are only preserved on the default-preset -IOW, it does not 'like' LMMS -or vis-a-vi..
But you could try
musikbear wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:29 pm
Electropocalypse wrote:

Sidechain is in reality nothing else than repeated changes of output volume in a precise pattern.
That fact is utilized to its max in FLs where they simply has a volume-envelope on every instrument, and the user will simply draw a curve for the volume over the time-span of the duration of the output.
Draw!
Draw!
Redoing this with automation will be serious cumbersome, because the onset of the reverb will depend on each notes length! 😱
If not .. yak ..
Not sure in the VST big-kix allow shaping more than the clean note, at least thats how2 i remember it, and its settings are only preserved on the default-preset -IOW, it does not 'like' LMMS -or vis-a-vi..
But you could try
Thanks Musicbear. It's a difficult scenario but that's one reason I love LMMS, it forces us to be creative and try new things.

I think I saw in some tutorials that people use ghost notes for sidechaining.

I tried this (used TOSC with 0 volume and a peak controller, attached lead instrument volume to controller) and it seems to only work if there's volume turned on the trigger instrument (the one with peak controller).

It'd be cool if the was a way to shape and control the timing of this compression better, but at least a peak controller with a bit of attack should work well enough for that quick fading-out effect.

Do you know any more about how to make these ghost notes? Thanks for your time and sorry for the long message. ^_^'
Electropocalypse wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:25 pm
musikbear wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:29 pm
Electropocalypse wrote:

Draw!
Draw!
If not .. yak ..
But you could try
Thanks Musicbear. It's a difficult scenario but that's one reason I love LMMS, it forces us to be creative and try new things.

I think I saw in some tutorials that people use ghost notes for sidechaining.

I tried this (used TOSC with 0 volume and a peak controller, attached lead instrument volume to controller) and it seems to only work if there's volume turned on the trigger instrument (the one with peak controller).

It'd be cool if the was a way to shape and control the timing of this compression better, but at least a peak controller with a bit of attack should work well enough for that quick fading-out effect.

Do you know any more about how to make these ghost notes? Thanks for your time and sorry for the long message. ^_^'
No and i cant think of any way to use ghostnotes -they are mere graphic. They cant control anything.
musikbear wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:43 pm

No and i cant think of any way to use ghostnotes -they are mere graphic. They cant control anything.

I see, I think I might have the wrong terminology. There are many confusing words in sound design.

I found that video that had that technique I mentioned. It uses a peak controller on Triple-OSC with mute effect enabled. Then (connected to lead instrument or kick volume/compressor) you can copy and paste notes and adjust/move them to where you want the S/C effect to activate.

One could (in theory) then modulate the S/C level and other things for added movement.

Pretty cool stuff.

For others I'll add a link to the video below. Thanks again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHwejNi93kk