VST - test and tips

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Tested in LMMS 1.2.2. Windows 10 64-bit. I will update this list after I've tested more and find more alternatives. This is vst plugins I have been using for a long time and some might be new for others and thats why I want to share my list.

My top rated "in class similar to Nexus, Vanguard and X3TA+" but for free:

Arp, Leads, Keyboard, Sound VST.

ClubVoltage1 is a modern control-voltage 32 step sequencer synth, based on subtractive synthesis. (does not work in LMMS 1.1.3 or erlier).
VACS1 is the contraction for virtual analog club synth. Most is included in VACS2. (does not work in LMMS 1.1.3 or erlier).
VACS2 is the contraction for virtual analog club synth. (does not work in LMMS 1.1.3 or erlier).
Nightlife VST Synthesizer is a fun and inspiring virtual synthesizer instrument.
Tytel Helm Synth is a cross-platform, polyphonic synthesizer with a flexible modulation system.
VK-1 Viking Synthesizer comes with 228 presets in the categories Bass, Bright Lead, Electro Bass, FX, Percussive Lead, Soft Lead, and Synthwave.
Tunefish4 (v4.2.0) is an additive / wavetable synth.
Synister 1.0.3 - Works perfect. With only 1 preset, it can be modified endless.
Crisalys is a pattern sequencer synthesizer.
Dirty Harry - Works perfect, very similar to Vagabond. It has 105, ARP, BASS, DRONE, FX, LEAD, BASIC.
Tone2FireBird- Works perfect, it has 128 ARPS, GAT, DR, RD, PAD, NAT, BAS, SYNTH, VOX, FM, ATM.
Gemini 1 - Works perfect. Has 16 settings with strings, bass and arps.
Genesis - Works perfect. Has 128 ARPS, Leads, fx and similar. Hard and awesome sounds.
K700 - Works perfect. It has 128, ARPS, Leads, fx and similar.
M-Phasewave - Works perfect. It has 64 preset like, ARPS, Leads, fx and similar, easy to modify the sound.
Prodigious - Works perfect. It has 127 preset like, ARPS, Leads, fx and similar, easy to modify the sound.
Rhythm 2 - Works perfect. An awesome clone of classic Soviet synth, with all 24 preset.
S3K - Works perfect. Arpeggiator with 64 preset.
SH-It - Works perfect, has no preset but can be modified as mutch as you want.
SQ8L - Works perfect. With 168 preset with different arps, strings and drums.
STS24-PRO - Works perfect. (I know there is 11, 17, 21, 26 and 33, I have not yet tested theese). With 128 preset with Strings and LFO this is awesome to use to create meditation music and even for "horror sound".and got some amazing strings/leads.
Synth1 - Works perfect. With only 1 preset, But can be modified just like the Clavia Nord Lead 2.
T-Force Alpha Plus - Works perfect. With only 26 preset, It can be modified as mutch you want, easy to use and great trance leads.
OB-xd - Works perfect (older version) with only 1 presets it can be modified as mutch as you want.
OB-xd - Works perfect (newest version) with only 1 presets it can be modified as mutch as you want. (Does however sometimes glitch in the graphics so some buttons are half on LMMS 1.1.3, but if so, just press "Show/hide GUI" twice and that is fixed, only happened twice, used it about 30 times., works perfect on the RC version)
Crio 2.0 - Works perfect, It haves amazing 46 arps and bas.
Crystal - Works perfect. 124 strings, (it says 256 but after 124 they are blank)
Feldspar - Works perfect. does have 32 ARPS, and Strings.
FTM String - Works good. Does only have 3 preset, string, piano and bass.
PsYbAsSyX - Works good. Does only have 1 arp preset, but It can be modified in endless different sounds. easy to use.
Rave Generator - Works perfect. Does have 64 preset. It does have only 1 sample per preset and that means that when you want to play with it higher notes makes the sample tune out faster and lower notes makes it play longer. But still, amazing 90's sound.
Rave Generator 2 - Works perfect. Does have 128 preset. It does have only 1 sample per preset and that means that when you want to play with it higher notes makes the sample tune out faster and lower notes makes it play longer. But still, amazing 90's sound.
Real Synth - Works good. Does not have any preset, but still the sound can be modified as mutch as you want.
String Thing 2 - Works perfect. Has 7 different strings like guitarr and harp.
DIGIST 2.1 - Works, presets don't work, but...you can still modify the sound as mutch as you want.
Dexed - Works perfect with 32 preset, very similar to Yamaha DX7.
Model E - Works perfect, I don't know why the download is called "vst classics vol 1" cause its named Model E. Comes with only 1 preset, but can be modified as you want.
Rave Generator 2 - Works well and is a great 90's sound creator.

8-bit sound of 14 vst I tested only theese works like they should:
Chip32 - Easy to modify and use. Does also work with multiple notes at the same time.
38911 Bytes - Easy to use, a c64 sound clone, does only play one note at the time. Use the "38911bytesv3.dll", the newer version (38911bytesv4.dll) makes LMMS crash sometimes.
NES vst - Easy to modify the sound.
P/Nes - Monster to nes 8-bit sound. The sound however is very low so need some amplifyer or similar.
NEOChip - Easy to modify, awesome sound. Link is down but you can download it here.
Basic 64 - 8 bit sounds of the classic Commodore 64.
Basic 65 - Based on the Commodore 64 and its legendary SID chip. basic64 vst is included.
MiniSid - small but powerfull. Does work with multiple notes at the same time when using the arp.

Drums & Drumkit.

Drumkit
Piano 707 - Simple to use, Drums starts at C5 and a little bit over C6. Real 80's vibe.
Drum Boxx Synth - Simle to use, a lots of different slots of sounds, 80's, Club, Old School and fresh sounding.

Text to Speech

Text to Speech
VST Speek! - Does work, however, the window does not show proper, but you can reach the buttons and write the text, it does save the text for a restart also, witch is great!
Necromare Speak And Teach VST - Works great.

VST for Mixer effects.

Reverb
Abstract Chamber - Simple to use reverb.
Ambience - Simple to use, got more advance settings
Cinematic Reverb - Simple to use, You don't get any look at the setting in db or similar, just buttons. But a great tool.

Delay
Tal Dub III - Works perfect. Easiest to use and even got a midi learn that works! Easy to set the delay with 1/4 in beat as default that can easily change.
DDdelay - Works perfect. Is a little bit tricky to set up the settings manuell but it has guidelines when moving the buttons.
Sanford Delay - Works perfect. Is a little bit tricky to set up the settings manuell but it has guidelines when moving the buttons.

Flanger
CamelSpace - Earlier cost, but free after they stopped updating it. the web.archive.org-page does not always work for download it, might be somewhere else? Otherwise, great Auto-panner, exciter, flanger, multi-mode filter, stereo delay, reverb. Can also be found here.

Dist
TSE X50 - Works like a charm. Realistic dist for guitarrs. But does also work perfect on other sounds.

Autotuner/Pitch corrector
MFreeFXBundle MautoPitch is one of the easiest, come with presets so you can sound like cher or make the vocal sound more like "stereo".
Son of a Pitch is an audio pitch correction VST plugin. The pitch of the incoming signal can be controlled by the pitch knob or by a sync to host LFO.
GSnap - Works perfect, great and similar to payed autotuner.
Detuna - Works perfect, easy to use with only 2 buttons. Does sound a little bit more like a vocoder than autotuner.
Duet - Works okey, does sometimes glitch in graphic, just close and open again and it works perfect, or move the plugin window. Otherwise, a good harmoniser. Can also be modified with costum theme, just by editing the images in folder "Resources".
Graillon 2 - Works perfect. With some preset, it works perfect and can give a harmonic autotune or more aggressive.
Unstable - Works perfect. Fun and easy to use.

EQ
TDR Nova - Works perfect, High quality and easy to use.
dSHIFT - Works perfect. Is a pitchshifter thats easy to use.

For Vocals
EasyVox - Dynamic mono vocal compressor/limiter/enhancer.
Fine Cut Bodies La Petite Excite - Works perfect, makes vocals amazingly better, and can be used on other sounds.

Vocoder
Cannabis Vocoder - Works perfect, there is two version, mono and poly. The only one that works is Mono. (Poly does not play any audio)
grANALiser - Works perfect. Easy to use and some presets included.
Erzatz - Works perfect. Lovely filter that is good as a payed vocoder. Similar in sound like Fruity Vocoder.

VST Tools
GTune - Works perfect. If you don't know what note is playing in an instrument this show you. Good when you do remixes and want to know the the notes in a song.

Transient and Compressor
Transient - Older and newer version works perfet. Great and easy to use. Newer version has better controlls and does not clip.
Transientx64 - Older and newer version works perfet. Great and easy to use. Newer version has better controlls and does not clip.
Violent Transient - Great and easy to use.
DC1A - A Compressor and brother to DC8C.
GComp1 - Don't be fooled when you see there is a newer version, this is accouly a little bit more advance with preview windows(showing both channel/stereo), Has a bit more options than the newer one. (You can also download all their free plugins here)
GComp2 - Good Compressor with a preview window (showing in mono) so you can see the wave.

Mastering
MQ57 - EQ mastering tool that is easy to learn.
QuadraCom - A 4-band dynamics processor for mastering.
MHORSE P3 mkII - An advance parallel mastering processor.
x10 Multiband Compressor - Not a new tool but still its one of the most powerfull EQ mastering tool.
CS-12 Master Channel Strip - Easy to use with alots of options.
CS12M Master - Newer version on the above. Different GUI and some different settings.

Does not work:
CREV-01 - A good and advance reverb with amazing result. Does kind of work, but delays audio 2-3 seconds so It does not match the rest of the music. Bug?
Acid Zone Retro - starts playing when open vst even if the track is not playing or having anything else imported
HYDI - starts and the first preset works, but the rest is blank. bug?
KeroVee My favorite autotune/pitch corrector, Sort of works, the knob to Tune1 need to be in full effect to play the effect.
Syntler - amazing syntler but does sadly not work. It plays when moving the dot, but when recording when moving it does not save. I did have problem with this on a program I used before, it did only work when connecting midi-board or using the dot to move around when recording only.
Autotalent - best and closely similar to payed software. The GUI does not work, nothing is visible, but the first preset does work when opening.
4BandShifter - Does not work at all, just makes LMMS crash.
grumblebum - Kind of works, can give a high pitch tone when stopping the music (it will fade out in a couple of seconds). Seems to work when exporting audio. Same problem in other programs.
color wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:35 am
Tested in LMMS 1.2.0-RC7. Windows 10 64-bit.
Great work, and useful for others indeed. The thing about VST and LMMS is that you will find, that almost 85-90% of instruments DO work in LMMS, but the exact opposite is unfortunately true for Effects
Only ~15% will work
Its believed that it is caused by a popular build using the Maize Sampler-software. Its being looked at..
I will add your 'No-luck' instruments to the red-list
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Te ... o_NOT_work
It make more sense to have a list over those few that does not work, than a list with thousands that Do..

Lastly: Imo it is best using a few VSTs known to the core, than having many, not know well.
Some I think people never heard of but will be happy to listen to, before I was paying alot for different vst-plugins, but after a while I realised there were some just as good if not even better. I will edit my post to add a few more that I have not yet tested but think others would like. There is alot off vst and theese are my favorite. I have tested them alot except VACS1 and VACS2 cause they didn't work on the older LMMS I used. But yes, better to have a few that works well than alot that don't work good. I often use 2-3 vst plugins per song I make. That seems to be stable enough. :)

I agree, Its better to do a list of what does not work. Just tell me when you added the none working one and I will delete them here. :)

The only one I wish was working is "Syntler", the other once does have alternative to use.

Also, I have done a few drums like kicks, hihats, drums and so on. Is it okey to share them here as I want to publish them as cc0.
color wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:28 pm
Some I think people never heard of but will be happy to listen to, before I was paying alot for different vst-plugins, but after a while I realised there were some just as good if not even better. I will edit my post to add a few more that I have not yet tested but think others would like. There is alot off vst and theese are my favorite. I have tested them alot except VACS1 and VACS2 cause they didn't work on the older LMMS I used. But yes, better to have a few that works well than alot that don't work good. I often use 2-3 vst plugins per song I make. That seems to be stable enough. :)

I agree, Its better to do a list of what does not work. Just tell me when you added the none working one and I will delete them here. :)

The only one I wish was working is "Syntler", the other once does have alternative to use.

Also, I have done a few drums like kicks, hihats, drums and so on. Is it okey to share them here as I want to publish them as cc0.
Bonsoir les VST " SURGE" et "FIREBIRD" sont bons aussi et gratuit actuellement
color wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:35 am
Tested in LMMS 1.2.0-RC7. Windows 10 64-bit. I will update this list after I've tested more and find more alternatives. This is vst plugins I have been using for a long time and some might be new for others and thats why I want to share my list.

My top rated "in class similar to Nexus, Vanguard and X3TA+" but for free:

Arp, Leads, Keyboard, Sound VST.

ClubVoltage1 is a modern control-voltage 32 step sequencer synth, based on subtractive synthesis. (does not work in LMMS 1.1.3 or erlier).
VACS1 is the contraction for virtual analog club synth. Most is included in VACS2. (does not work in LMMS 1.1.3 or erlier).
VACS2 is the contraction for virtual analog club synth. (does not work in LMMS 1.1.3 or erlier).
Nightlife VST Synthesizer is a fun and inspiring virtual synthesizer instrument.
Tytel Helm Synth is a cross-platform, polyphonic synthesizer with a flexible modulation system.
VK-1 Viking Synthesizer comes with 228 presets in the categories Bass, Bright Lead, Electro Bass, FX, Percussive Lead, Soft Lead, and Synthwave.
Tunefish4 (v4.2.0) is an additive / wavetable synth.
Synister 1.0.3 - Works perfect. With only 1 preset, it can be modified endless.
Crisalys is a pattern sequencer synthesizer.
Dirty Harry - Works perfect, very similar to Vagabond. It has 105, ARP, BASS, DRONE, FX, LEAD, BASIC.
Tone2FireBird- Works perfect, it has 128 ARPS, GAT, DR, RD, PAD, NAT, BAS, SYNTH, VOX, FM, ATM.
Gemini 1 - Works perfect. Has 16 settings with strings, bass and arps.
Genesis - Works perfect. Has 128 ARPS, Leads, fx and similar. Hard and awesome sounds.
K700 - Works perfect. It has 128, ARPS, Leads, fx and similar.
M-Phasewave - Works perfect. It has 64 preset like, ARPS, Leads, fx and similar, easy to modify the sound.
Prodigious - Works perfect. It has 127 preset like, ARPS, Leads, fx and similar, easy to modify the sound.
Rhythm 2 - Works perfect. An awesome clone of classic Soviet synth, with all 24 preset.
S3K - Works perfect. Arpeggiator with 64 preset.
SH-It - Works perfect, has no preset but can be modified as mutch as you want.
SQ8L - Works perfect. With 168 preset with different arps, strings and drums.
STS24-PRO - Works perfect. (I know there is 11, 17, 21, 26 and 33, I have not yet tested theese). With 128 preset with Strings and LFO this is awesome to use to create meditation music and even for "horror sound".and got some amazing strings/leads.
Synth1 - Works perfect. With only 1 preset, But can be modified just like the Clavia Nord Lead 2.
T-Force Alpha Plus - Works perfect. With only 26 preset, It can be modified as mutch you want, easy to use and great trance leads.
OB-xd - Works perfect (older version) with only 1 presets it can be modified as mutch as you want.
OB-xd - Works perfect (newest version) with only 1 presets it can be modified as mutch as you want. (Does however sometimes glitch in the graphics so some buttons are half on LMMS 1.1.3, but if so, just press "Show/hide GUI" twice and that is fixed, only happened twice, used it about 30 times., works perfect on the RC version)
Crio 2.0 - Works perfect, It haves amazing 46 arps and bas.
Crystal - Works perfect. 124 strings, (it says 256 but after 124 they are blank)
Feldspar - Works perfect. does have 32 ARPS, and Strings.
FTM String - Works good. Does only have 3 preset, string, piano and bass.
PsYbAsSyX - Works good. Does only have 1 arp preset, but It can be modified in endless different sounds. easy to use.
Rave Generator - Works perfect. Does have 64 preset. It does have only 1 sample per preset and that means that when you want to play with it higher notes makes the sample tune out faster and lower notes makes it play longer. But still, amazing 90's sound.
Rave Generator 2 - Works perfect. Does have 128 preset. It does have only 1 sample per preset and that means that when you want to play with it higher notes makes the sample tune out faster and lower notes makes it play longer. But still, amazing 90's sound.
Real Synth - Works good. Does not have any preset, but still the sound can be modified as mutch as you want.
String Thing 2 - Works perfect. Has 7 different strings like guitarr and harp.
DIGIST 2.1 - Works, presets don't work, but...you can still modify the sound as mutch as you want.
Dexed - Works perfect with 32 preset, very similar to Yamaha DX7.
Model E - Works perfect, I don't know why the download is called "vst classics vol 1" cause its named Model E. Comes with only 1 preset, but can be modified as you want.

8-bit sound of 14 vst I tested only theese works like they should:
Chip32 - Easy to modify and use. Does also work with multiple notes at the same time.
38911 Bytes - Easy to use, a c64 sound clone, does only play one note at the time. Use the "38911bytesv3.dll", the newer version (38911bytesv4.dll) makes LMMS crash sometimes.
NES vst - Easy to modify the sound.
P/Nes - Monster to nes 8-bit sound. The sound however is very low so need some amplifyer or similar.
NEOChip - Easy to modify, awesome sound. Link is down but you can download it here.
Basic 64 - 8 bit sounds of the classic Commodore 64.
Basic 65 - Based on the Commodore 64 and its legendary SID chip. basic64 vst is included.
MiniSid - small but powerfull. Does work with multiple notes at the same time when using the arp.

VST for Mixer effects.

Reverb
Abstract Chamber - Simple to use reverb.
Ambience - Simple to use, got more advance settings
Cinematic Reverb - Simple to use, You don't get any look at the setting in db or similar, just buttons. But a great tool.

Delay
Tal Dub III - Works perfect. Easiest to use and even got a midi learn that works! Easy to set the delay with 1/4 in beat as default that can easily change.
DDdelay - Works perfect. Is a little bit tricky to set up the settings manuell but it has guidelines when moving the buttons.
Sanford Delay - Works perfect. Is a little bit tricky to set up the settings manuell but it has guidelines when moving the buttons.

Flanger
CamelSpace - Earlier cost, but free after they stopped updating it. the web.archive.org-page does not always work for download it, might be somewhere else? Otherwise, great Auto-panner, exciter, flanger, multi-mode filter, stereo delay, reverb. Can also be found here.

Dist
TSE X50 - Works like a charm. Realistic dist for guitarrs. But does also work perfect on other sounds.

Autotuner/Pitch corrector
MFreeFXBundle MautoPitch is one of the easiest, come with presets so you can sound like cher or make the vocal sound more like "stereo".
Son of a Pitch is an audio pitch correction VST plugin. The pitch of the incoming signal can be controlled by the pitch knob or by a sync to host LFO.
GSnap - Works perfect, great and similar to payed autotuner.
Detuna - Works perfect, easy to use with only 2 buttons. Does sound a little bit more like a vocoder than autotuner.
Duet - Works okey, does sometimes glitch in graphic, just close and open again and it works perfect, or move the plugin window. Otherwise, a good harmoniser. Can also be modified with costum theme, just by editing the images in folder "Resources".
Graillon 2 - Works perfect. With some preset, it works perfect and can give a harmonic autotune or more aggressive.
Unstable - Works perfect. Fun and easy to use.

EQ
TDR Nova - Works perfect, High quality and easy to use.
dSHIFT - Works perfect. Is a pitchshifter thats easy to use.

For Vocals
EasyVox - Dynamic mono vocal compressor/limiter/enhancer.
Fine Cut Bodies La Petite Excite - Works perfect, makes vocals amazingly better, and can be used on other sounds.

Vocoder
Cannabis Vocoder - Works perfect, there is two version, mono and poly. The only one that works is Mono. (Poly does not play any audio)
grANALiser - Works perfect. Easy to use and some presets included.
Erzatz - Works perfect. Lovely filter that is good as a payed vocoder. Similar in sound like Fruity Vocoder.

VST Tools
GTune - Works perfect. If you don't know what note is playing in an instrument this show you. Good when you do remixes and want to know the the notes in a song.

Transient and Compressor
Transient - Older and newer version works perfet. Great and easy to use. Newer version has better controlls and does not clip.
Transientx64 - Older and newer version works perfet. Great and easy to use. Newer version has better controlls and does not clip.
Violent Transient - Great and easy to use.
DC1A - A Compressor and brother to DC8C.
GComp1 - Don't be fooled when you see there is a newer version, this is accouly a little bit more advance with preview windows(showing both channel/stereo), Has a bit more options than the newer one. (You can also download all their free plugins here)
GComp2 - Good Compressor with a preview window (showing in mono) so you can see the wave.

Mastering
MQ57 - EQ mastering tool that is easy to learn.
QuadraCom - A 4-band dynamics processor for mastering.
MHORSE P3 mkII - An advance parallel mastering processor.
x10 Multiband Compressor - Not a new tool but still its one of the most powerfull EQ mastering tool.
CS-12 Master Channel Strip - Easy to use with alots of options.
CS12M Master - Newer version on the above. Different GUI and some different settings.

Does not work:
CREV-01 - A good and advance reverb with amazing result. Does kind of work, but delays audio 2-3 seconds so It does not match the rest of the music. Bug?
Acid Zone Retro - starts playing when open vst even if the track is not playing or having anything else imported
HYDI - starts and the first preset works, but the rest is blank. bug?
KeroVee My favorite autotune/pitch corrector, Sort of works, the knob to Tune1 need to be in full effect to play the effect.
Syntler - amazing syntler but does sadly not work. It plays when moving the dot, but when recording when moving it does not save. I did have problem with this on a program I used before, it did only work when connecting midi-board or using the dot to move around when recording only.
Autotalent - best and closely similar to payed software. The GUI does not work, nothing is visible, but the first preset does work when opening.
4BandShifter - Does not work at all, just makes LMMS crash.
grumblebum - Kind of works, can give a high pitch tone when stopping the music (it will fade out in a couple of seconds). Seems to work when exporting audio. Same problem in other programs.
Hey, nice work dude. This will definitely help alot of lmms users.
I haven't updated this list for a while. But I have not been well for a while so I have not been on the computer for a while.

I will update with a few more great plugins and filter that I use and like that works.
Updated with a few more things added to the list, VST Speek! and some other plugins!
vst4free does not exist anymore and replaced with plugins4free, so I changed all the links so they are now all working.
color wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:59 am
vst4free does not exist anymore and replaced with plugins4free, so I changed all the links so they are now all working.
Appreciated!
There are however extremely few VST2s that does not work in lmms
True, i might delete the none working once in the list.