VST plugins not loading anymore on Arch

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hello,

Today when I opened LMMS to work on my VST plugin-heavy projects, I noticed that they're not loading at all. The plugins just freeze up LMMS until finally RemoteVstPlugin.exe crashes and the freezing is over. Sometimes I get the following error message from Wine:

"The program RemoteVstPlugin.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine."

I suspect deficiency in Wine, as I haven't had problems before the 8.3-1 version. The 8.4 version isn't yet in the AUR so I don't know if it fixes anything.

However, I might be stupid and the reason could be something completely different. Thoughts?
Can you go back to the wine version, that did work ?
I'm running into this problem as well.

wine version: wine-staging 8.5~jammy-1
LMMS version: lmms-1.3.0-alpha.1.102+g89fc6c9-linux-x86_64.AppImage

I had to downgrade all the way to 8.2 to get VST plugins to load again.

For OP, I created a BASH script to launch LMMS and make it use an alternate installation of wine (without touching its current installation):

Code: Select all

export ALT_WINE_HOME=~/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-ge-lol-7.0-5-x86_64
export ALT_WINE=$ALT_WINE_HOME/bin/wine
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$ALT_WINE_HOME/bin:$ALT_WINE_HOME/lib:$ALT_WINE_HOME/lib64
export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_lmms

alias wine=$ALT_WINE
WINEPREFIX=$WINEPREFIX LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH lmms-1.3.0-alpha.1.102+g89fc6c9-linux-x86_64.AppImage
Note that: 1) I use lutris to download and manage alternate wine installs. 2) I put the LMMS AppImage file in my path, but if you're running it from a different command, just use that. 3) This script uses an alternate WINEPREFIX just to be safe.
puzzud wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:26 pm
I'm running into this problem as well.

wine version: wine-staging 8.5~jammy-1
LMMS version: lmms-1.3.0-alpha.1.102+g89fc6c9-linux-x86_64.AppImage

I had to downgrade all the way to 8.2 to get VST plugins to load again.

For OP, I created a BASH script to launch LMMS and make it use an alternate installation of wine (without touching its current installation):

Code: Select all

export ALT_WINE_HOME=~/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-ge-lol-7.0-5-x86_64
export ALT_WINE=$ALT_WINE_HOME/bin/wine
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$ALT_WINE_HOME/bin:$ALT_WINE_HOME/lib:$ALT_WINE_HOME/lib64
export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine_lmms

alias wine=$ALT_WINE
WINEPREFIX=$WINEPREFIX LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH lmms-1.3.0-alpha.1.102+g89fc6c9-linux-x86_64.AppImage
Note that: 1) I use lutris to download and manage alternate wine installs. 2) I put the LMMS AppImage file in my path, but if you're running it from a different command, just use that. 3) This script uses an alternate WINEPREFIX just to be safe.
Thanks for adding this info to the forum!
Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome puzzud!
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480