Tiny Question - MIDI Knobs?

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Just curious. Is it possible to use midi knobs in LMMS?

Also, what are knobs typically meant for? I was thinking of trying to use them for recording modulation somehow but I imagine they're more meant for live performance.

I'm looking around for midi keyboards and I'm not sure if I should get one with just piano keys or if I should get one with all the extras.

Thanks in advanced!
Knobs on MIDI controllers can be used for virtually anything. LMMS lets you assign almost any parameter to any knob you want. Right click on a knob or slider or button and you have a "Connect to controller" option, then move the physical knob you want it to respond to, and done.
As long as the device works with standard MIDI CC events, you are good to go.
trancwolve wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:49 pm
Knobs on MIDI controllers can be used for virtually anything. LMMS lets you assign almost any parameter to any knob you want. Right click on a knob or slider or button and you have a "Connect to controller" option, then move the physical knob you want it to respond to, and done.
As long as the device works with standard MIDI CC events, you are good to go.
That's incredible, thank you! This is such a great tool for experimenting, jamming and recording.

I found an M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32 keyboard for a good price so I'll definitely jump on it and start exploring.

Thanks again for the amazing information.

PS - one more little question (sorry) - what can you do with drum pads? I'm guessing they can be used to engage samples like kick drums. Pretty cool stuff!
Not sure about that specific hardware, but drum pads usually work like a second keyboard, in the sense that they send note events but on a different channel from that of the main keyboard-keyboard. This means you could play melody on them if connected to an instrument track, as they assume your software handles drums as different notes on one single drum track. Unfortunately due to how LMMS was designed, every drum sound has to be on its own channel, so it will not work the way one would expect without doing trickery.
trancwolve wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:38 am
Not sure about that specific hardware, but drum pads usually work like a second keyboard, in the sense that they send note events but on a different channel from that of the main keyboard-keyboard. This means you could play melody on them if connected to an instrument track, as they assume your software handles drums as different notes on one single drum track. Unfortunately due to how LMMS was designed, every drum sound has to be on its own channel, so it will not work the way one would expect without doing trickery.
That makes sense, I understand now.

Come to think of it I came across a tutorial from Musicbear that described how to use Sitala as a drum sampler. It works by assigning each sample to a different note.

It looks like I'll have a lot to explore. Thanks again for the information.