I know nothing about sound or music -- how can I learn?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Hi guys,

So I've been trying to use or learn LMMS for some time because I like electronic music and I'd like to create something that would sound good, but I really don't know where to start or how to make music... I've never really had any classes or anything. I've been trying a few videos on YouTube and elsewhere, but most videos seem to assume that I know what a melody is, or what a hihat is, but I don't.

I guess my problem isn't LMMS-specific; I'd have the same problem if I were to use Ableton or FL Studio or whatever else exists out there. How did you guys learn how to make music? Did you guys start from scratch like I am, or did you have some type of "musical background"? Is there some resource that really helped you figure things out?

Thanks a bunch in advance!!
At some point you just need to put in some notes, and then listen if you like it.

When I started I hardly knew what I was doing.

Have you watched music bears vids ?

Just fire up LMMS and click in some notes, you probably wont like, and that is a good start. :)
TNkirdovada wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 4:21 pm
Hi guys,
Hi, Welcome to the Forum TNkirdovada !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
One of witch is:
Do NOT embed any advertising at ALL in your posts!!!
You will be banned!! -Next time..

If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480

So I've been trying to use or learn LMMS for some time because I like electronic music and I'd like to create something that would sound good, but I really don't know where to start or how to make music... I've never really had any classes or anything. I've been trying a few videos on YouTube and elsewhere, but most videos seem to assume that I know what a melody is, or what a hihat is, but I don't...

I guess my problem isn't LMMS-specific; I'd have the same problem if I were to use Ableton or FL Studio or whatever else exists out there. How did you guys learn how to make music? Did you guys start from scratch like I am, or did you have some type of "musical background"? Is there some resource that really helped you figure things out?

Thanks a bunch in advance!!
LMMS is alone with having tools for staying in scale and key
Select your scale in the sale drop-down, the key with a right-click on the key in piano-roll. The marked keys are in the same scale, and using those only will let you avoid disharmonic clashes.
That is the minium musical theory you need
More theory :
Learning to make music can be a fun and rewarding journey, even if you don't have a hip hop promo. Remember that learning to make music is a journey, and it takes time and dedication. Don't get discouraged if things don't sound perfect right away. Keep practicing, exploring different techniques, and most importantly, have fun along the way.
Best place to start with melody is to look at a piano keyboard.
Notice black and white notes.

For your first tune, pick a black note. Any one.
Then repeat that note every couple of seconds of time slowly.

This is the key note.

Now pick another black note.
Play that in between in a way that sounds good.
Now add a third note... etc