Where are all of the VSTs for Linux?

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
A couple of years ago, I was asking here (had to change my email, because the site wouldn't log me in under the old one) about VSTs not working in M$ CrashOS. Now I'm running Slackware, and I can't find anything but synthesizers for Linux.

Where are the VSTs that actually support Linux (not just say they do, until you get to download options, then it's either M$ CrashOS or MacOS)? I'm looking for a concert grand piano (had a Steinway concert grand back then, but that's one of the sites that supports Linux until you try to download it). (Btw, I call it CrashOS because of how it was on this laptop ... always crashing to do updates without my permission).

Can someone name some sites that are full of instruments (one synth is enough for now) like woodwinds, brass, percussion, etc.? Right now, a concert grand piano and a harpsichord will do, but I'd welcome anything else as well.

Thanks,
--jim

There's actually supposed to be a signature here, but I guess I started too soon. So here it is:

--
From my days in 16th Special Operations Wing Intelligence:

AN EXERCISE is a situation in which you stop what you're doing
in order to simulate doing what you were doing so you can show
someone else that you can simulate what you were doing as well
as you were doing it before you were interrupted.
spooky130u@gmail.com wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:49 pm
running Slackware,
:
can't find anything but synthesizers for Linux.
looking for a concert grand piano
LMMS support VST2. Lvl2 is yet to be supported, and it is worked atm.
So all VST2 will work on Linux, provided that you have WINE for your specific distro installed!
when it comes to grand-piano there are several VST2 available spanning from synthesized sound of a few MB up to huge high quality sampled concerto-piano of several 100 MB
1. category best choice could be MDA-piano
2. category could be one of these : https://keyboardkraze.com/best-free-piano-vsts/
But WINE is prerequired for VST2
What about normal VSTs? And (showing my ignorance on this topic) why do VST2 plugins require wine? Aren't there any for Linux?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Studio_Technology
The VST plugin standard is the audio plugin standard created by Steinberg to allow any third-party developers to create VST plugins for use within VST host applications. VST requires separate installations for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. The majority of VST plugins are available for Windows only due to Apple's competing proprietary Audio Unit technology being used on OS X (Audio Units is a core part of the OS X operating system). The short history of commercial environments for Linux means few developers have targeted this platform.
So most VST are for mac os or Windows.

To use anything made for windows we need wine on Linux. (there is no way as far as I know, to use mac stuff on Linux)

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine
Wine is a free and open-source compatibility layer that aims to allow application software and computer games developed for Microsoft Windows to run on Unix-like operating systems
Late last night (too late last night) I read about a combination of wine and something called yabridge, which is supposed to somehow convert a dll file into a shared library (.so) file. Has anyone heard anything about that?

Thanks
I have heard about it, but never used it.

I have heard about it because of this forum, which is not just about LMMS.

https://linuxmusicians.com
The piano I was (and will be via wine and the other app) was Keyzone Classic (Steinway Grand). I also had a harpsichord via, if I remember, DSK Orchestra. And a lot of brass, strings, woodwinds, etc. I'll probably use the other big name grand from Keyzone. My ear kept telling me that C0 was horribly flat. No one here would accept that (years ago). I checked with a tuner, and it was almost two full tones flat. No wonder it hurt my ears and made me cringe.

I've got at least one (might find another without the accent) on using wine plus that other one to convert DLLs to .so. So unless I'm missing something, I'd say this question of mine is answered.

So, I've been on forums where I need to mark my posts solved and ones where I don't. So what's the norm here?

Thanks.
spooky130u@gmail.com wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:30 pm
So what's the norm here?
alas we do not have that option, but in fact the issue is not 'solved', because LMMS atm cant load all linux-instruments/ effects, not with full UI at least, so 'solved' for real will have to wait
Fortunately, I'm finding plenty of VSTs for Linux now. Seems it's hit and miss in terms which "50 Best ....." lists you look at. Same goes for which free VSTs you have to pay up to $2000 for and which actually are free.

Edit: I found this page, "Exhaustive List of Free Native Linux Plugins" (https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=20773) that I'm browsing through now. Strange thing---it gives a list of "instruments" that doesn't have an instrument in it at all...they're all synths. :-)

That's almost as bad as sites calling a piano a string instrument (it's percussion; the hammers strike the strings). A harpsichord IS a string instrument (in a REAL one, turkey quills pluck the strings, while in a cheap one, it's plastic).
Linux musicians is a very good site.

There are people there who record life music, which LMMS can't do directly.

I am however not the only LMMS user there. :)