LMMS Internet Radio, Mixing Desk, and LMMS API

Got a great idea for the future of LMMS? Post it here.
Forum rules

Make sure to search to see if your idea has been posted before! Check our issue tracker as well, just to make sure you are not posting a duplicate: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues

I used LMMS for two periods of music creation/experimentation. One period about ten years ago and then again in 2020. I was using Linux at the time and so LMMS was a natural fit. I also researched the market for alternative music DAW software. I found LMMS to be a powerful open source music software, and its simplicity was a key selling point. When I returned to LMMS in 2020 I could see improvements had been made in the software stability and GUI. I like the simplicity of LMMS, it encourages the music creative to focus on developing their core music/sound/instrumental/mastering skills compared to some professional DAW software that can be very feature rich and sometimes a shortcut to producing things without a deeper appreciation. LMMS still provides a decent platform to program musical/sound tracks (though I lack the knowledge/awareness as to how widespread LMMS is used for professional projects and what barriers exist in that space).

I do not know what the strategic direction is for LMMS. I can see a backlog of bugs and enhancements, but what is the plan beyond that? Has a web-based GUI backed by an LMMS API been considered? (I understand why LMMS was originally designed for desktop). With an API and browser-based GUI that streams music to the client, new products could be built (e.g. one idea is for LMMS radio that runs on the internet continually each day and night. Each day, the next person in a queue is handed control via a browser-based online-mixing desk, and where other listeners can tune in real time to either listen to the music and/or to watch the producer working from who they can learn from. There could for instance be different complexity of user interfaces that equate to different streams of live music. For example, a basic introductory level interface would be designed in a simple way that would produce a reasonable quality of music, and an expert interface would provide full access to LMMS features for the producer to work with. Whether the music is retained or simply listened to in the moment, such decisions would be part of product design. With an API and browser-based mixing desk, it would open up option for collaboration on projects in real time and probably other ideas.) Such a product, or set of features, built on top of LMMS, could potentially renew interest among software developer communities and attract new users to LMMS. It would be a way to maximise the benefits of LMMS development to date and to share in an accessible way. (I am aware online music creative websites exist, and even continual daily radio streams, though it could be a logical next step for LMMS if a direction of growth is desirable, and to retain the principles it was founded on without commercially “selling out” in respect to its open source history. Like Linux, a platform from which to build other things.

And thanks to all of the hard work that went into LMMS.
oceanwavecode wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:26 pm
I used LMMS for two periods
Hi welcome back!
Strategy is desktop. Atm in the current architecture, but later a new architecture not based on separate components -as now, will be targeted.
Atm all effort is on getting LMMS able to use lvl2 (done & in test) and then vst3, but LMMS has tons of bugs and crincles and all that has to be fixed and ironed out.
remember this is a non-profit and non-commercial DAW.
There is no drive toward being 'successful' it is all about providing a free and open sourced DAW for everyone to use, and hopefully to enjoy. Your idea are interesting, but also far ahead of current state of the program
musikbear wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:54 pm
oceanwavecode wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:26 pm
I used LMMS for two periods
Hi welcome back!
Strategy is desktop. Atm in the current architecture, but later a new architecture not based on separate components -as now, will be targeted.
Atm all effort is on getting LMMS able to use lvl2 (done & in test) and then vst3, but LMMS has tons of bugs and crincles and all that has to be fixed and ironed out.
remember this is a non-profit and non-commercial DAW.
There is no drive toward being 'successful' it is all about providing a free and open sourced DAW for everyone to use, and hopefully to enjoy. Your idea are interesting, but also far ahead of current state of the program
I think the desktop strategy is the right one. I have zero interest in "cloud" solutions. I certainly do not want to go online to use a DAW. I would not even attempt such a thing.

How would LMMS even survive as a free product if it had to pay for hosting for a cloud solution? Besides, that involves an additional skill set, constant maintenance, 24/7 tech support, etc. "Software as a service" means far more technical problems and more headaches for users. There are also privacy and security issues.

I say keep LMMS the excellent free desktop product it already is!