VST/soundfont instruments don't play at full velocity

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Heya! A while ago I got a midi keyboard to use as a controller for LMMS. It worked well, but I don't have the controller anymore, so I have to draw notes in the piano roll manually for now.

However, ever since I first used the midi keyboard, I've had an issue I don't know how to fix. Now when I use an instrument via Sf2 Player or VeSTige (without a midi controller plugged in), every note I draw in the piano roll sounds soft, as if I'm not pressing the key all the way down, even at 100% velocity.

I'm not really sure what happened, but I didn't have this issue before I got the midi keyboard. Could there maybe be a setting somewhere that got changed without me noticing? I'm currently using alpha version 1.33, but this actually happened in the 1.2.2 stable release version as well. Thanks so much in advance for the help.
cinnasaur wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:32 am
Heya! A while ago I got a midi keyboard to use as a controller for LMMS. It worked well, but I don't have the controller anymore, so I have to draw notes in the piano roll manually for now.

However, ever since I first used the midi keyboard, I've had an issue I don't know how to fix. Now when I use an instrument via Sf2 Player or VeSTige (without a midi controller plugged in), every note I draw in the piano roll sounds soft, as if I'm not pressing the key all the way down, even at 100% velocity.

I'm not really sure what happened, but I didn't have this issue before I got the midi keyboard. Could there maybe be a setting somewhere that got changed without me noticing? I'm currently using alpha version 1.33, but this actually happened in the 1.2.2 stable release version as well. Thanks so much in advance for the help.
That is odd
I wonder if you may have used 200% velocity when you had your MIDI-controller?
The default velocity is 100%, but the max-velocity is 200%
Do you have a project from when you used midi keyboard?
You should be able to check the velocity % made by your midi keyboard
Is that higher than 100%? Then that explain it.
( There are several ways to increase an instruments 'aggressiveness' like using EQ or working with short attack, but attack for VST and SF is not controlled by LMMS. that is directly on the instrument..

Let us know the outcome :)

Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome cinnasaur !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
First of all, thank you for the welcome! ^_^

Also, I think I have figured it out! It turns out the base velocity for both sf2 player and VeSTige was actually set to 63 in the midi settings tab for some reason.

Clicking on the little green light toggle indicator only enables changing the value, it doesn't seem to enable or disable the actual application of the base velocity to the instrument, so it stays at whatever it was last set to. Apparently it was applying that custom base velocity by default whenever I dropped a soundfont or VST into a new project.

Bumping it up to 100 made a difference, so I think that was the problem! I must have fiddled with that setting while using my midi keyboard, not expecting it to apply when not using it, and then forgot about it.
cinnasaur wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:47 pm
First of all, thank you for the welcome! ^_^

Also, I think I have figured it out! It turns out the base velocity for both sf2 player and VeSTige was actually set to 63 in the midi settings tab for some reason.

Clicking on the little green light toggle indicator only enables changing the value, it doesn't seem to enable or disable the actual application of the base velocity to the instrument, so it stays at whatever it was last set to. Apparently it was applying that custom base velocity by default whenever I dropped a soundfont or VST into a new project.

Bumping it up to 100 made a difference, so I think that was the problem! I must have fiddled with that setting while using my midi keyboard, not expecting it to apply when not using it, and then forgot about it.
yes that would do that, but why it somehow got different from using a midi-kb, and just drawing provided it was the same instrument, that is still odd.
we have the default value at 64 because that gives headroom for setting velocity inside piano-roll both up and down, and fir midi-kb-play.
But its good that you found your issue.
This is very strange, you should take the item to repair
cinnasaur wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:32 am

The issue with soft-sounding notes in LMMS may be related to the velocity settings or the default instrument volume. Check the velocity settings in the piano roll to ensure that the drawn notes have the desired velocity, even if set at 100%. Additionally, explore the settings within the Sf2 Player or VeSTige to confirm that the instrument's default volume is appropriately configured. Sometimes, MIDI keyboard controllers can influence global settings in software, so you may want to check LMMS preferences for any MIDI-related configurations that might persist even after disconnecting the keyboard. Experimenting with these settings should help you identify and resolve the soft note issue in your manual piano roll entries. And if you are not so good at writing IELTS essay then you can visit https://academized.com/blog/how-to-writ ... -for-ielts here where you will find an article on how to write an essay for IELTS. It will help you a lot. And let me know, if my answer helps you or not.
Any update?
AlyceJewess wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:07 pm
Any update?
On what?
Cant you locate the setting?

Also since you are new in Forum
Welcome AlyceJewess!
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here: