Strange MIDI Keyboard recordings

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Hi all!
I recently installed LMMS 1.3.0-alpha for Windows and was able to properly connect my MIDI keyboard, but whenever I attempt to record something, some of the notes are placed properly at the time I pressed the keys but some get moved ~10 measures later, resulting in quite interesting sounds (I have set quantization at 1/192.)

I wasn't able to find anyone with a similar issue on the forum :cry:

Linked are two photos of that happening, one on which I only play the first few notes, but some are somehow moved wayyyy later at seemingly random spots... :? and the other where I tried to play a scale but notes in the middle got strangely moved around :/

Does anyone know what is going on and if there is a way to fix it ?
Tomygood wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:47 pm
Hi all!
Hi, Welcome to the Forum Tomygood !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
I have set quantization at 1/192.
Yuek.. That was what i thought was the problem, so its not..
What happens if you just play and not capture note -Do you hear the pressed notes immediately?
I just created an account to report this same problem.
The irony is your post is the first one that appears in the Support section and I clicked out of curiosity because I haven't seen anyone reporting this but it is a problem I've been having for a while and I'm getting tired.
musikbear wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:33 pm
To the previous poster, yes the sound can be heard correctly while we play.

I start a new instance by double clicking the square thing. I hit record (NOT record+play). Q is set at 1/192 because otherwise things sound like a robot or the program completely messes up the tempo because there is a certain latency with the MIDI keyboard input even though it works flawlessly and instantly in Kontakt. Happens at 1/48 too.

I am playing and suddenly I hear notes I am not playing. If I just look at the piano roll, from the beginning of the process, I can see it is obviously empty when I start the instance (square). I hit record, still empty. I begin playing. Suddenly at some random point I see notes being generated ahead in time, when the piano roll cursor hasn't even reached that place (sometimes it's even 15 seconds away, it's not a matter of latency). When the cursor reaches them, I hear those notes (again, as I had also heard them when I played them).

This has messed up too many of my projects.
I am tired of spending hours trying to fix problems in the basic functions of a program that has been around for 20 years.
It happens in Windows and in Ubuntu. My computer runs Kontakt, Davinci Resolve and many other GPU heavy programs. It is not a matter of specs. MIDI input directly from piano to computer via USB. Not a peripheric problem. It happens only with this program.
Tired of wasting hours.
gettingtired wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:13 pm
I am playing and suddenly I hear notes I am not playing.
Do you use a loop in pianoroll?
What LMMS version?
Did you dl for LMMS.io?
It happens only with this program
And only for you. Your described issue cant be reproduced, so the issue is not general. It is not identical to the OP, yours are different. It will happen if you use a loop

Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome gettingtired !
musikbear wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:10 pm
gettingtired wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:13 pm
I am playing and suddenly I hear notes I am not playing.
Do you use a loop in pianoroll?
What LMMS version?
Did you dl for LMMS.io?
It happens only with this program
And only for you. Your described issue cant be reproduced, so the issue is not general. It is not identical to the OP, yours are different. It will happen if you use a loop

Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome gettingtired !

Hi, I have the current latest stable version (1.2.2) downloaded directly from the website, I have tried reinstalling. I have tried in Ubuntu and Windows and in two different machines now. I have tried different data cables to link my piano to USB for MIDI input. It is not a problem with my keyboard because it works flawlessly in other DAWs.

I don't use loops, not in the piano roll, not in the main project window.
I simply open a new project, load a sound (I have tried with plugins from different manufacturers loaded with VeSTige, and the sample sounds that come with LMMS). I double click a square to open the piano roll, hit record (next to play) and start playing. I have Q set to 1/192 to keep the recordings as loyal as possible to my input but I have now replicated the issue in 1/1, and at 3 very different tempo settings.

The OP hasn't described using a loop and his screenshots show he isn't using a loop, and I am not using a loop, so as far as I am concerned our issue is indeed identical. Some of the MIDI input is being placed further down the timeline instead of at the time when we press the key.
Even stranger: when I booted up LMMS the day after sending the initial post, everything worked fine. Now I just gotta hope that this doesn't happen again as I still have no idea what caused the issue in the first place...

Also yes to confirm: I was hearing notes just fine while playing (recording or not) and was not using a loop when the issue was occuring.
Tomygood wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:17 pm
everything worked fine.
Sometime that happens. I have just posted a TL:DR chunk that maybe relevant in explaining your experience ..idk, but it is great that LMMS now again works.