quantisation confusion / question

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Biscaya is written in 4 4.

When I however study some midi files, I have to set the piano roll, quantisation, to something like 1/3 1/6 1/12, to have notes start at a vertical line. When I set it to 1/4 1/8 1/16 some notes do not start at a vertical line.

Because of this my questions.

Should quantisation be set the same for every track in a song ?

Although it confuses me, it does make some sense too, because some parts have 12 notes in 4 beats...

12/4 = 3 .....

But I would expect that with a piece written in 4 4, I should use the 1/4 1/8 and so on quantisation ?
Those lines are guidelines to help you align things, they are just cosmetic. If you set LMMS to quantize to triplets (assuming you are working in a 4/4 time signature) then you will only be able to place notes that fall into the triplet meter. However, once they are placed you can change what LMMS is quantizing by and the notes will stay the same (triplets, if that is what you did). Quantizing only affects the placement of notes, LMMS does not have active quantizing so it can't change notes that are already in the piano roll.
When I started on this cover, I only used the 1/4 1/8 and so on.

But when I started to work on the track that has 12 notes in 4 beats, it was easier to set it to something 1/3 like.

Do I understand you right that this does not matter ?
It doesn't matter. The quantization in piano roll is just to help you to place the notes. Once they're in there you can change the quantization to a completely different value and the notes and their timing will still stay exactly where have you put them and will play back the same. All that changes is the position of the lines.

Steve
Thank you.