Page 2 of 2

Re: First post :) HIp hop beat - Criticism much appreciated

Posted: October 22nd, 2017, 8:53 pm
by Mo Stitchi
PlsHelpMeNøtSuck wrote: ↑
October 22nd, 2017, 8:30 pm
When you say refrain, do you mean like a chorus?
English is not my mother tongue, and I sometimes have to rely on translation web sites... So, verses and refrains, or verses and chorus? I found both translations.

Re: First post :) HIp hop beat - Criticism much appreciated

Posted: October 22nd, 2017, 9:05 pm
by D.Ipsum
PlsHelpMeNøtSuck wrote: ↑
October 22nd, 2017, 8:47 pm
D.Ipsum wrote: ↑
October 20th, 2017, 7:01 pm

For the piano, at times, you can double the score of the piano with an instrument whose tone or timbre is a little different
This is a rookie question but anyway....I looked up 'tone' and 'timbre' and I'm not really sure what the difference is. Does 'tone' refer to pitch and volume, whereas 'timbre' refers to the quality of the sound (as in, what instrument/synth it is)?
Yep :

- by tone I mean pitch (for example, you can double the score of the piano by playing with another instrument one octave above, or at the same pitch, or ...),

- by timbre I refer to the spectral envelope specific to an instrument.
- For example, what distinguishes a La440Hz played by a flute from a La440Hz played by a guitar is the timbre. What allows you to recognize the flute is its timbre.

I think music dictionaries have better definitions than mine :lol:

Re: First post :) HIp hop beat - Criticism much appreciated

Posted: October 23rd, 2017, 8:13 am
by PlsHelpMeNøtSuck
PlsHelpMeNøtSuck wrote: ↑
October 23rd, 2017, 8:13 am
Mo Stitchi wrote: ↑
October 22nd, 2017, 8:53 pm
PlsHelpMeNøtSuck wrote: ↑
October 22nd, 2017, 8:30 pm
When you say refrain, do you mean like a chorus?
English is not my mother tongue, and I sometimes have to rely on translation web sites... So, verses and refrains, or verses and chorus? I found both translations.
Ok, I wasn't sure, cause I looked up refrain and it seems to have multiple definitions. I would normally say verses and chorus. But I understand what you mean now. Thanks :)

Re: First post :) HIp hop beat - Criticism much appreciated

Posted: October 23rd, 2017, 8:24 am
by PlsHelpMeNøtSuck
D.Ipsum wrote: ↑
October 20th, 2017, 7:01 pm

Yep :

- by tone I mean pitch (for example, you can double the score of the piano by playing with another instrument one octave above, or at the same pitch, or ...),

- by timbre I refer to the spectral envelope specific to an instrument.
- For example, what distinguishes a La440Hz played by a flute from a La440Hz played by a guitar is the timbre. What allows you to recognize the flute is its timbre.

I think music dictionaries have better definitions than mine :lol:
No, thanks for explaining it; your definition is much more understandable than music dictionaries xD
It makes perfect sense now :)
And thanks for all your suggestions, much appreciated 8-)

Re: First post :) HIp hop beat - Criticism much appreciated

Posted: October 24th, 2017, 9:03 am
by bank
Need harder drums if its hip hop man. Piano is cool might wanna make it louder though.

Re: First post :) HIp hop beat - Criticism much appreciated

Posted: October 26th, 2017, 9:49 am
by PlsHelpMeNøtSuck
bank wrote: ↑
October 24th, 2017, 9:03 am
Need harder drums if its hip hop man.
Do you mean in terms of type of drum, or volume?
bank wrote: ↑
October 24th, 2017, 9:03 am
Piano is cool might wanna make it louder though.
Thanks :) Ok. I'll try that when I make another pianoey beat. Appreciate the suggestions 8-)