Bugs and Such: Should I try a previous release?

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
I am starting to think that 4.15 is a buggy release. But then again im new, so I do not know if I'm doing something wrong. I create an automation track for a vestige track playing synth1, I attach volume to the automation and I draw a gradual volume increase in the automation, but the volume still comes in strong even though the volume is on or close to zero.

Also using mda-plugins will cause LMMS to crash sometimes. It will run fine until I try to exit the program etc.

Should I try a more bug free version of LMMS, If I should , then which version?
And if i try another version how do I go about it? I dont want to lose settings data or anything for my project files etc.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
For volume automation, add an amplifier to the effect chain and automate that. Tube amps work great for this, they seem the most immune to artifacts caused by volume adjustments, but they also modify the feel of the sound somewhat. You can minimize it by turning drive down to 0, or you can just use it to add some extra power to the sound.

Not all VST's work well with LMMS, this will likely only be worse in earlier versions. It is what it is, you'll just have to find VST's that are good and work in LMMS. Fortunately, there are lots.
I got mda-plugins to work some time... LMMS 04.13 I think, or maybe something happened with my PC. I think they always were glitchy though. Remember to always open projects from LMMS, not from Windows Explorer, or else the VSTs won't load.

Automating the volume knob of an instrument don't smoothly rise or lower the volume, it decides the volume of the note beginning to play, but doesn't change the volume of a note already playing. You can route the instrument to a FX channel and then automate the channel volume.