[Solved] Tuning instruments to frequency

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
Hello everything

I searched a bit, but I don't found such subject. Is, ow will be, avaliable such option to tune instryments to special frequeny? For example, actual tuning standard is 440 Hz for A. But I want old, good tuning - 432 Hz for A (and 256 Hz for C). Is such thing avaliable? Or will be? Is it controlled by LMMS, or individual by plugins (unlikely)?
there's pitchshifter add effect in mixr
In fact, there is something I'm searching for. But I have problem with adjust this shift to exact frequency. There is only shift factor (0.25 to 4.0), which I don't know what to do. I haven't yet any information about it.
If you use native instruments, just adjust the pitch knob in the instrument window (next to the volume and pan knobs). It adjusts the frequency in cents, ie. 1/100 of seminotes. From that, you can calculate the pitch adjustment you need to get to the frequency you want.

From quick calculation, you need to adjust it down by 31 - 32 cents to get as close as possible to 432.

440 * -31 cents = 432.19134773436605
440 * -32 cents = 431.9417763085723

If you use VSTi's, it's a bit more complex since on VSTi's, the pitch knob corresponds to the MIDI pitch bend input, and each VSTi responds differently to it - on some, you can configure it, on some it goes in a scale of +/-octave...
Thank you very much :)
I think this is the same issue I discussed in my first post about Vestige. I will have to unlearn the keys I have been using because I have been playing by ear with LMMS and Vestige with VSTs. They do not correspond to anything else.
LMMS internal synths play in the correct key. Vestige VSTs (lots tried) do not.

I find that I have to correct the pitch for all the VSTs in LMMS.
Why on earth is it different with LMMS?
If it is intentional who made this bizarre choice and why?

Sadly LMMS does not remember the applied pitch change, just the figures you have applied.
The pitch correction numbers are recorded when you save them but not actually applied the next time. So for instance you change pitch down -12 but it sounds like it did at zero before the correction.
Open the window and you will see the -12 but it plays with zero pitch change.

Perhaps this varies with version.
I am using the latest LMMS with 64bit windows.
popeye1234 wrote:I think this is the same issue I discussed in my first post about Vestige. I will have to unlearn the keys I have been using because I have been playing by ear with LMMS and Vestige with VSTs. They do not correspond to anything else.
LMMS internal synths play in the correct key. Vestige VSTs (lots tried) do not.

I find that I have to correct the pitch for all the VSTs in LMMS.
Why on earth is it different with LMMS?
If it is intentional who made this bizarre choice and why?

Sadly LMMS does not remember the applied pitch change, just the figures you have applied.
The pitch correction numbers are recorded when you save them but not actually applied the next time. So for instance you change pitch down -12 but it sounds like it did at zero before the correction.
Open the window and you will see the -12 but it plays with zero pitch change.

Perhaps this varies with version.
I am using the latest LMMS with 64bit windows.
Popeye1234, please don't post the same thing in multiple different threads, as this can be annoying to other users. Thank you for understanding.

This thread is not about the issue you are experiencing, this is about tuning instruments to a nonstandard frequency, ie. other than A440 tuning. It's opposite to your issue, where you want to get your instruments to A440 tune.

LMMS does not play nicely with all VSTi's, we don't know exactly why, because all VSTi's are different and they're mostly closed source and thus impossible for LMMS developers to bugfix. Maybe the LMMS VST implementation isn't perfect, or maybe these VSTi's don't follow the spec properly. Can't really say. The point is, not all VSTi's work as they should, that's just something you have to accept if you use LMMS - you have to remember that LMMS is software still in development, so you might run into issues like that now and then.

Another factor may be that you use a 64bit build, most VST's are built as 32bit binaries, and there's always potential for something going wonky there, with untested codepaths and such. Try finding more VSTi's that work for you and concentrating on them.
Diiz,
It's not some VSTs, it is virtually ALL VSTs (at least in the new build with 64bit).

Please don't take my posts the wrong way.
It's in multiple (relevant or related) threads because I feel it is important to others and I want people to know about it. Posting here is so incredibly slow it is painful, how many people will take time to discover that thread?

It is fundamental issue to music production with midi keyboards. It is a major issue. A problem with a huge amount of both 64 and 32 bit VSTs (possibly only in 64bit Windows?).

I made the post as a friendly warning (possibly a problem only with the current version), not to vent frustration or spam the forum. In my opinion I feel the problem is a dire one, a major flaw (not seen elsewhere) and that is not immediately transparent to keyboard novices.
popeye1234 wrote: Posting here is so incredibly slow it is painful, how many people will take time to discover that thread?
The forum pages are finally turning quickly. Must have been days of gridlock at the servers ;)
I will investigate more from this forum website. Prior to this current relatively fast response I could go and make a cup of tea waiting to submit a post or turn a page. :mrgreen: