Music basics

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
144 posts
popeye1234 wrote:Perhaps someone will tell us what that third part of the medley is. I do not even recognise the tune.
I hope some one will, its been bugging me. :mrgreen:
popeye1234 wrote:How about an easy option, watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgp1a1ZweIo

If you are using 64bit windows take care that your midi keyboard is playing the right pitch (if in doubt read my thread in troubleshooting regarding Vestige). LMMS doesn't currently do this with 64bit or 32bit version if you have 64bit windows it seems.

Compare notes on keyboard with Vestige VSTs and the Triple Osc Synth in LMMS. In 64bit Windows these will differ, unless using Synth1 (that VST is fine!). It is a very odd bug.
I am on Linux 64 bit (openSUSE), but used synth 1, at least for the track I posted in this thread.

I am making progress, learning stuff. :D
From the first time I used lmms I had this issue, one track by it self sound fine, then the two together hurt my ears.

I have been using that vid, but also other pages, ones with sheet music.
I just learned I should not.

This is one of the other pages I used too:
https://www.jellynote.com/en/sheet-musi ... %23score_E

Mixing those pages is clearly an bad idea ( if you like me , don't have a real clue about what you're doing )

I had read you post about synth 1, but was lost on what it meant.
Now that I am starting to understand the problem, I can check the vst versus lmms and my master midi keyboard ( which I have not used yet )

btw popcorm at 30%
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTpM9ruztU
I am very happy.

I just checked my popcorn to the synthesia one. A few notes were at the wrong spot.
( relative to the others, not in timing but in tone )

After changing this, a problem I noticed before is gone.

Still need to check that other stuff, about the relation between different tracks, but I am making progress.

I am totally shocked how moving around just a few notes, makes such a difference.
Sorry I missed this post.

Yeah, I just listened to the soundcloud clip, and yeah,...... it's out of pitch.
But glad to see you already figured that out. :mrgreen:

If you haven't seen this, maybe this Lmms wiki popcorn tut will help........http://lmms.sourceforge.net/wiki/index. ... _with_LMMS

I am totally shocked how moving around just a few notes, makes such a difference.
Yeah. That's one of the "mysterious wonderful mysteries," about making music.
Change a few notes, and you have a wonderful brand new track. Heh. :mrgreen:

Oh well, I'll check back later..................LaterZ. 8-)
Thank you but I have read abut every tutorial there is on lmms. ( the official ones )

My problem in general is less about how to use lmms, but more about the music rules.

Today I have been trying to figure out what diiz, told me. its not his explanations, but I would be lying if I said I totally got it.

After reading again allot about how to read sheet music, and still not finding a help-full answer, I found a fruity loops vid tutorial.
The guy drew in the scale he was playing in. 8-)

Then I opened up lmms, and went looking, and found in the piano role the scale box, were you can select a scale (no scale, minor mayor and more)
Nothing happened, but google ftw.

When you set a scale in this box, and then go to the keys of the piano, in the piano role, you can right click on them.
One of the options you can pick: Mark current scale.

Then LMMS highlight the places were you should put notes.
There are exceptions like diiz explained, but for me and others, who are still learning the music basics, ignore this, it will only confuse you.

Allot of pieces are now falling into place for me.

When creating music in LMMS (not copying an existing song), I had already noticed while inserting notes, that inserting them in certain places sounded strange.
That was easy to fix, by moving them up or down but I was lost, on why it mattered.
Now I fully understand why. :D :D :D

Thank you guys.
Now I should not have any problems to stay in tune. :P
One more thing, anybody suprised there are allot of notes in spots were they should not ? :mrgreen:

You need to set a scale and then click mark current scale every time. It does not change when you just select a different scale.
It only does after you clicked mark current scale again.
gps2013 wrote:Allot of pieces are now falling into place for me.
You definitely need to read this ;)
http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.fi/20 ... thing.html

But seriously though, I'm glad I could be of help.
gps2013 wrote:There are exceptions like diiz explained, but for me and others, who are still learning the music basics, ignore this, it will only confuse you.
Yep, basically, unless you read pages and pages of music theory (and probably even then), using disharmony in composition is something that you'll only learn with experience. It's so hard to predict when it'll sound good, and there's no logical explanation for it (that I know of) - sometimes it just does. Like they say - you have to learn the rules so that you'll know when you can break them.

And as for music theory in general, I think it's useful to know the basics, but there's really not that much benefit in all the small trivia - who really cares what a flam paradiddle is...
i would just transpose from cMaj or Amin. You do know about the eqivalence of the scales and the halftone math? -right..?
Scales are really only for live performance purpose.
Let me know if you need more
musikbear wrote:i would just transpose from cMaj or Amin. You do know about the eqivalence of the scales and the halftone math? -right..?
Scales are really only for live performance purpose.
Let me know if you need more
I think I do need more, I am not sure what the eqivalence of scales and halftone math means.
i will do something around this sometimes today or tomorrow. theres quite a bit of confusion around scales, so it is propl in due time
144 posts