Music basics

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
144 posts
Oh, yeah, if you try to do exactly as the keyboard in the video, you need to be sure that the green button is at the same note for all the instruments. I suggest that you add in a TripleOsc instrument, if you then press the Y button on your (QWERTY) keyboard (most common English keyboard), it will play an A. If you then open another instrument in your project and press Y, it should also play an A, or else the green note must be moved! When every instrument play an A on pressing Y, you should be able to follow the videos.
Thank you, I was wondering if moving the green button was one of the things I needed, but did not had a clue on were to move it to.

I have been reading a lot about scales, keys, but then, when back behind LMMS I am lost.

I am getting close though.
For those that don't know the first thing about music. This is a good place to start.
It is a good on-line tutorial on the basics. http://method-behind-the-music.com/
Thank you for that link, but it's not really helping me.
I have been reading about scales, the problem is for me how to use it in lmms, when I try to make a cover of something or a song of my own.

I think I understand what playing in C means, but not how to implement that in LMMS on the piano roll?
I do know I can mark scales.

Lets say for example popcorn is played in C, were do I put the notes in lmms ?
One of the things I read, if a piece is played in C, every first note will be a C.

Does this mean, all track in lmms of this popcorn song, will have to start at C ?
Were is does not matter if that is a C1 or C2 or C8 ?
I have been reading about scales, the problem is for me how to use it in lmms
Have you seen this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhkwmABRtp4
I also recently wrote a piece in the wiki, but the gist of that is:

Tasks : To compose in F-minor
Open piano-roll
Open Chord
Select Minor
Right-click any F key to open the key-context-menu
Select Mark-Current-Scale
Because you Mark the scale ON a F-key, the notes that NOW are highlighted all belongs to F-minor! And ONLY these notes!!! belong!

Pop-quizz: What are the notes of F-Minor (Fmin)? (List them for one octave)
and uh-oh !
Minor is one of musics goldmines. Because gold is ...valuable.. Minor comes in several flavors. The 'real' minor, is the one just called Minor. Melodic- and Natual- minor are different 'gold-alloids' completely :D
I had seen the vid before, but I might start to see the light. :D

lets give it a try.

F G# C ? Thank you LMMS ?

But what about multiple tracks in LMMS they all need to follow the same pattern ?

One track is lets say the base line, another track the lead.
All notes need to be in the same key ? F minor in this example ?

and or same chord ?

And all synths set to F minor ?
Omg, I love you guys, and of course thank you musikbear for his Vid.

I have seen the light

Just saw a syntesia vid of popcorn.

Every track ( lead or bass) starts at the same key :D

White key besides three black keys, B ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nGsxpLGUIc

I now know were I messed up.but much more important, how to fix it.

Maybe later find out how some LMMS projects I downloaded, use different keys.

But finally understanding what's wrong with my popcorn, makes my day.
F G# C ? Thank you LMMS ?
well, that is Fm triad chord
The notes that belongs to F-minor scale:
C, C#, D#, F, G, G#, A#,
These notes are the F-minor scale.

And now , some magic:

* Put notes in at all these posistions
let lmms play them - that sounds quite pleasant - rigtht?
* Now mark all
*Place mouse on the F-note
*Drag the F-note to A, but all the other notes should move with your F-note
Now you have the note that previously was ON F, posistioned at A, and ALL the other notes have moved SAME distance!
Where are ALL notes now? List them
(You may like to use the 'Unmark-all' context-menu-option, because the colored notes can confuse you)
White key besides three black keys, B ?
well # or B, If the black note is Lower than the white, its (depending on a musical rule-set...) possible to 'call' it B, if its higher its (depend...) known as a sharp (#)
You could 'call' C# Db (or flat), it would be the same note.. :roll: -But in DAWs we luckily only speak about sharps, so forget about flats :D

Have i covered your quistions - if not ask once more
Ah yes thought you wanted the chord not the scale.

For now I think, I need more actual doing the stuff in LMMS.

One of the things I did wrong, I marked current scale, but not at the right key...... LOL

Yesterday tried making a bassline in my popcorn song. Like the vid shows. For now it sounds like its played in C.

This is also a good practice to my ears.

Dont know yet is that c is right, I have been moving all notes so much, I first will have have to check the notes to a synthesia vid. And stay with that one.
Just opened popcornsong.

Checked out the position of the notes of the most famous part. I had them at the right place.

Cminor scale fits perfect. to be continued...

Edit, just had two tracks in lmms running.

Baseline and main lead.
After finding out the song is in c minor.
Went to the baseline, marked scale

Moved all notes down to C, and corrected some notes.

Listened to it, and I am very happy, and thats even without tweaking the synth.
All of a sudden two track of mine sounds like they belong together.
144 posts