Weird Noise

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
Not sure if anyone has posted anything like this before, but LMMS has recently been making a weird noise at random times. Though I'd love to put this in some other way, I can only describe the noise as a sort of 'farting' sound. I would have firstly assumed that it was my speakers, but the noise has been in both my speakers and a pair of headphones I also use. It all started when I began composing together an SFZ file. Before then, I had never heard the noise before, and because I've only heard it while using the SFZ in action, I am going to assume it is the culprit. However, I've also used a couple of VSTs as well, which could probably be the problem as well, so I'll list them here just to be safe: Sheppi Free Spatial Enhancer, CamelCrusher, and CompressiveLite. But, as I said before, I suspect it is either the SFZ file or the SFZ player.

Does anyone have any idea what the noise is? Is it damaging in some way? How can I make it stop?

Thanks.
No way to be sure really.

Why do you use so many VST effects? VST support in LMMS is really hit and miss, and VST's should only be used if you absolutely need them and can't do without them.

Replace CamelCrusher with Bitrot bitcrusher. It's LADSPA so much better supported in LMMS.
Spatial enhancer? LMMS comes with one - it's called StereoEnhancer and it's a fully native LMMS plugin, so works great.
And there's a whole bunch of great compressors bundled with LMMS. Calf compressor is my favorite, Calf multiband if you really need something fancy.

As for SFZ, you can use sfArk to uncompress them into SF2 files and then use the native SF2 player.

Try also changing the audio backend. On Linux, pure ALSA works best, while on windows, SDL is usually recommended.
diiz, your suggestions are quite brilliant. But how may I go about converting SFZ to SF2 using sfark? I have the program I thought you actually meant, which is sfark soundfont compression, but it doesn't recognize the SFZ files (though perhaps this isn't what you meant at all when you said sfark :lol:). After a google search of converting SFZ to SF2, I came up with nothing.

As for the conversion from using VSTs, I am going to take your advice, since they only seem to run up cpu.
Well sfark should be able to decompress sfz's, from what I gather. That's what people say anyway.

I haven't used it myself because it's only available for windows. I use sfarkXtm, which works but there's no binaries available, it has to be compiled from source code. It's available here: https://github.com/raboof/sfarkxtc
If we are both talking about http://www.melodymachine.com/sfark.htm, then I don't believe it can. I try to load SFZ files into it, but it pops up with a thing saying that they are unrecognizable. It only seems able to recognize SF2 and sfark files.

As for the link you posted, I am unsure what I am even looking at, haha. Excuse my ignorance.

I downloaded a program called Polyphone, which, while able to convert the file from SFZ to SF2, was unable to keep any of my settings in the file. For example, the sounds would play, though they'd all be dry, unequalized, and etcetera. Is this supposed to happen when converting SFZ to SF2? Also, someone told me the free version of Alchemy could work. Is this true?

I am just a horde of questions, I know.
Oh, I might have confused the packaged SF2 formats. Why are there so many...

If you're making the soundfonts yourself, maybe you could try finding a soundfont creation software that can output SF2 or SFark files right from the start?

If you just want to use soundfonts, there are plenty of good, free soundonfts in SF2/SFark format. I don't know, is there a reason why you'd have to use SFZ files in particular?

I also found this, maybe it helps: http://futalgo.planetaclix.pt/sfzip/
Now I am confused myself. :lol:.

Perhaps I misspoke somewhere earlier, but the question was mainly how I could convert SFZ to SF2 (not vice versa, since it seems doing that is infinitely easier). I found one program capable, but it was unable to load all the effects and editing I had done to the SFZ file to the newly converted SF2 file. In other words, it was just the dry sounds mapped to the appropriate keys and that was it. All the other programs which promise to do the same thing, who knows about the quality, seem pretty costly.

I've given up, quite honestly. It doesn't seem to be possible. Or, if it is, it would cost an arm and a leg that I am not willing to yet have amputated, hah.

Back to the original topic, though, I haven't heard the noise in a while (though I'm still not quite sure what it was).
Did you try the sfzip tool? I think it was claimed somewhere it would convert both ways between sf2/sfz...
could be your playing warp02 in effects 8-) jk