New version of LMMS

Anything that doesn't fit into other topics goes here!
When is the new LMMS coming out? As in the official date, many people say soon but are not that specific.
Will it cost money to buy? Will it still look the same or will the lovers of LMMS have to completely learn something different?
Questions, questions ;)
Soon :)

Shouldn't be long now. During this month definitely.

It will not cost money.

It will look different, but most of the things will be in the same places. If you want to see how the new LMMS will look, you can download the 0.9.90 RC and try it out at home - note that if you already have an older version of LMMS it might mess things up so it's better to remove your old LMMS first. Also, old themes won't work very well with the new version.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lmms/f ... ms/0.9.90/
diiz wrote:Soon :)

Shouldn't be long now. During this month definitely.

It will not cost money.

It will look different, but most of the things will be in the same places. If you want to see how the new LMMS will look, you can download the 0.9.90 RC and try it out at home - note that if you already have an older version of LMMS it might mess things up so it's better to remove your old LMMS first. Also, old themes won't work very well with the new version.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lmms/f ... ms/0.9.90/
Thanks for the quick response. It does seem improved greatly. I like the timer as well near the tempo area, that is a big plus and the new features of automation. :)
I noticed you still cannot export a song to mp3, will they eventually have this feature?
roy38 wrote: Thanks for the quick response. It does seem improved greatly. I like the timer as well near the tempo area, that is a big plus and the new features of automation. :)
I noticed you still cannot export a song to mp3, will they eventually have this feature?
Mp3 is a heavily patent-encumbered format, so including any mp3-encoding code in LMMS is not possible. It could possibly be implemented as an optional dependency of some open source mp3-encoding library such as LAME, leaving it up to the user to install that library on their system. However, when it comes to binary packages of LMMS (esp. windows versions), all dependencies are statically compiled into the binaries, and the mp3 library couldn't be legally included in binary form, so in practice the feature would still only be available to Linux users.
diiz wrote:
roy38 wrote: Thanks for the quick response. It does seem improved greatly. I like the timer as well near the tempo area, that is a big plus and the new features of automation. :)
Mp3 is a heavily patent-encumbered format, so including any mp3-encoding code in LMMS is not possible. It could possibly be implemented as an optional dependency of some open source mp3-encoding library such as LAME, leaving it up to the user to install that library on their system. However, when it comes to binary packages of LMMS (esp. windows versions), all dependencies are statically compiled into the binaries, and the mp3 library couldn't be legally included in binary form, so in practice the feature would still only be available to Linux users.
VSTs are DLLs, and LMMS can load them, so lame.dll can't be impossible to use. Copypaste from the Audacity sources might help?
raekman wrote:
diiz wrote:
VSTs are DLLs, and LMMS can load them, so lame.dll can't be impossible to use. Copypaste from the Audacity sources might help?
Problem is, that if lame.dll is distributed with LMMS, that makes distribution of LMMS illegal under certain jurisdictions (USA, Japan?) where software patents are considered valid. LAME can be legally distributed in source form (at least, it has never been contested), but distributing it in binary form requires a patent license if you're under a jurisdiction where said patent is valid.

This wouldn't be a problem for Linux, as Linux users can simply choose whether to install LAME themselves, and are used to optional dependencies, but windows users are used to getting all the dependencies provided by the binary package itself.

This would then create the same kind of situation as with certain distros, where they have to make two separate ISOs available, one with patent-encumbered codes, one without... we'd need to have two windows versions of each release - one for swpat countries, one for the rest of the world. And multiply that again for 32/64 bit, that'd make 4 windows binaries for each release.
diiz wrote:
raekman wrote:
diiz wrote: Mp3 is a heavily patent-encumbered format, so including any mp3-encoding code in LMMS is not possible. It could possibly be implemented as an optional dependency of some open source mp3-encoding library such as LAME, leaving it up to the user to install that library on their system. However, when it comes to binary packages of LMMS (esp. windows versions), all dependencies are statically compiled into the binaries, and the mp3 library couldn't be legally included in binary form, so in practice the feature would still only be available to Linux users.
Problem is, that if lame.dll is distributed with LMMS, that makes distribution of LMMS illegal under certain jurisdictions (USA, Japan?) where software patents are considered valid. LAME can be legally distributed in source form (at least, it has never been contested), but distributing it in binary form requires a patent license if you're under a jurisdiction where said patent is valid.
LMMS shouldn't of course be distributed with anything illegal, that's obvious. I was mostly shooting at the "all dependencies are statically compiled into the binaries" argument. Maybe they are now, but that shouldn't be impossible to change. Dynamic loading is happening all the time, everywhere. And as there is an open source solution doing what's needed, the code is waiting to be reused...

From a user POV, installing the DLL on Windows shouldn't be much different from googling a GM soundfont and setting it as default in LMMS. If a user can't follow simple instructions to install a file, I guess (s)he'll have to wait until 2018 (when the patents have expired)... but why make everyone do that? It's like saying synths can have only presets because some player isn't good at tweaking parameters..
raekman wrote: LMMS shouldn't of course be distributed with anything illegal, that's obvious. I was mostly shooting at the "all dependencies are statically compiled into the binaries" argument. Maybe they are now, but that shouldn't be impossible to change. Dynamic loading is happening all the time, everywhere. And as there is an open source solution doing what's needed, the code is waiting to be reused...

From a user POV, installing the DLL on Windows shouldn't be much different from googling a GM soundfont and setting it as default in LMMS. If a user can't follow simple instructions to install a file, I guess (s)he'll have to wait until 2018 (when the patents have expired)... but why make everyone do that? It's like saying synths can have only presets because some player isn't good at tweaking parameters..
Well, currently LMMS allows implementing file-import and file-export as plugins. We could have an external LMMS-native plugin for mp3 export, but I'm not sure if our plugin architecture even supports dynamic loading of plugins yet? Or do they all have to be compiled statically with the software itself...
There's now 2 new native effect-plugins for LMMS that will both be included in the next version of LMMS. These are Waveshaper and Dynamics Processor.

They look very similar, but differ a lot in their functionality.

Those two seem to be very interesting. I hope the docs will be good, these are complicated things. Is the whole UI in those images?