Exporting file corrupts it.

Having trouble with LMMS? Ask about it here.
I'm a hobbyist who's I've been using LMMS for a while, but I never got the hang of a lot of the effects. Today I was trying to get a better handle on them, and after a few hours, I'd created something I kinda liked. However, when I exported it and listened to the result, it sounded absolutely awful - two of the tracks, a synth brass and synth strings track, made horrible, watery sounds, similar to that bug I had a while back. (I know most people are familiar with the distorted sound bug)

The thing is, when I went back and looked at the original file, something had changed. A sample sound I had created looked jagged around the edges, despite being a sine wave (so it should have appeared flat) Changing the instrument of the two corrupted tracks had some odd results; Some instruments worked perfectly fine, while others, particularly synth and oscillators instruments, had the same awful distortion.

Unsure of what to do, I exited without saving, to make sure whatever the hell had happened to that file didn't get saved with it. I reopened it, relieved to find everything back to normal, exported it again... and got the same corruption. I thought it might be one of the effects I'd added, but the string track affected doesn't have any effects on it.

It doesn't seem to matter what export settings I use.

Any idea what might be causing this?

For reference, I'm running windows 7, LMMS 0.4.15.
HwoThumb wrote:similar to that bug I had a while back. (I know most people are familiar with the distorted sound bug)

Any idea what might be causing this? For reference, I'm running windows 7, LMMS 0.4.15.
Nope, don't know about any sound bug. If the volume is too high in LMMS you will get distortion trough clipping, if this sentence makes no sense to you, look up sound clipping.

So you are using the old version 0.4.15, eh? WHYYY oH WHY. Well, LMMS 0.4.15 had some bugs... If you use automation, SoundFonts or VSTs I totally get that something can get corrupted. If you can tell me exactly what effects you think are causing this or which instrument plugin this happens with, maybe we can solve it.
Sti-Jay wrote: So you are using the old version 0.4.15, eh? WHYYY oH WHY.
I want to join this choir : Whyyyyyy ?
No - first thing is definately to upgrade!
Then, do you use SDL as sound-device?
SDL is best choice for windows

The 'jagged' wave-form.. You mean you re-loaded the export to 'audacity', and then the waveform looks different from the origional shape?
Really sounds like clipping
I work a lot with midi, on lmms. Before the upgrade, some of the midi instruments would sound weak after the export to .ogg sound. The issue seemed to be solved with the upgrade.
By all means do the upgrade.
I updated LMMS and turned down the master volume, and one of those fixed the issue. If whatever's causing the distortion is still there, it's very slight. Though the affected tracks sounds slightly different, they don't necessarily sound *worse*. Thanks for your help.

However, the weird jagged sound sample thing persists, though it doesn't seem to actually affect what it sounds like.
musikbear wrote:
The 'jagged' wave-form.. You mean you re-loaded the export to 'audacity', and then the waveform looks different from the origional shape?
Really sounds like clipping
What I mean is that I made a sound in audacity, exported it to LMMS, and then when I export the LMMS file to a .wav, as the cursor crosses over the sound sample, the sample changes in appearance, becoming jagged. It still sounds the same, but it looks different.

I don't think it's clipping because I get this effect no matter what the amplitude is set at.
Before the upgrade, some of the midi instruments would sound weak after the export to .ogg sound. The issue seemed to be solved with the upgrade.
By all means do the upgrade.
If by "upgrade" you are referring to the 1.1 beta, and if you are using soundfonts, there have been some fixes in how chorus and reverb settings are applied (playback sound and export sound had differed previous to 1.1) but there're also some fixed velocity settings which have been reported to break the way some soundfonts sounded in pre-1.1 builds, so "solving" these can have both positive an negative effects to the composer from an "upgrade" perspective. :)
Ah... just reread, the OP is using 0.4.15. Yes, that is End-Of-Life and won't be fixed, although I'd recommend testing 1.0 or 1.1 on a separate computer fully prior to upgrading.

As far as what to look for to find out the bad export, sometimes the export settings can have an impact, but it's hard to know without experimenting. If the bug still occurs in 1.1, please file a bug and we'll investigate.

-Tres